Menu

Dog Training

Carrie12345

I don't know if this is a me thing, a my kids thing, or a small vs. big dog thing.  

Our big dogs (passed away at 9 and 10 earlier this year and last year) were never trained to a high level, but they responded very well to our low expectations.  Both were happily crate trained and followed all basic commands (come, sit, lay down, off, release, short stays, walkable but not really heeling.)  They primarily responded to me, since the kids were tiny when we got them, but they usually listened to the kids as they got older.

My little dog... oh, my little dog!

He's about 9 months old and just over 4lbs.  He recently decided he doesn't want to be crated, except overnight.  Because he had been fine with the crate for short periods during the day, we responded every time when this first started, and I only just realized we've helped to turn it into a "thing".  And it isn't just interactive play he's looking for.  Right now, he's napping on me @@.  Now I'm trying to figure out how to end this game without him hurting himself in the crate.  And I'm dreading more yipping.  But I'm all ears!

While that part's new, we've been struggling for 7 months with basic commands.  He doesn't have much trouble at all performing for treats and toys, but it's not carrying over through the course of the day.  During training sessions, he'll respond to verbal and hand commands, whether we do them in a predictable order or not.  He'll do it for me and my older dd, and sometimes for the other kids, who don't participate in training as much.  But he'll still ignore me and dd at other times.

This isn't like an "OMG, I'll have to get rid of this beast if we can't fix him" situation.  He's 4lbs.  Plenty of people live with poorly trained pocket dogs.  But that's not what we want for him or for us.  And I am worried about his safety with the crate situation.  We DO leave the house and, while we may not be gone as long as the average family, it's enough that he has to be able to deal with it.

So, hit me with your best advice!

Your puppy is still really young, and I'd just continue to be as consistent as you and your family can be with commands and positively reinforcing the behaviour you desire, trying not to reinforce the behaviour you don't want. For yipping in the crate during the day, we ignored our pup. We also moved the crate upstairs so it's easier to ignore the yipping. That behaviour is gone now, but it did take a while and we had to remind each other in the family not to respond to the yips. 

• Like 1

Random thoughts and questions --

He's still in the doggy adolescent period.  It can be a challenging time.

What breed or mix is he?  That has a lot to do with how easily trainable a dog is.  Some dogs are bred to be more independent, others more compliant to human direction.  The independent ones often (incorrectly, IMO) get labeled as stubborn.  Little dogs have long been bred simply to be human companions (and body warners) and not much has been expected of them in terms of training.  So it's not something breeders tend to focus on much.  It certainly doesn't mean they can't be trained, but it often requires different tactics and persistence than with a breed that has for centuries been bred to work with and for humans like sporting and herding breeds.

Is it possible he's beginning to develop separation anxiety?  That's a whole 'nother world beyond simply not "wanting" to be crated.

Your puppy is still really young, and I'd just continue to be as consistent as you and your family can be with commands and positively reinforcing the behaviour you desire, trying not to reinforce the behaviour you don't want. For yipping in the crate during the day, we ignored our pup. We also moved the crate upstairs so it's easier to ignore the yipping. That behaviour is gone now, but it did take a while and we had to remind each other in the family not to respond to the yips. 

Yips are definitely secondary to the physical safety aspect.  He doesn't just yip, he claws at the crate.  Sometimes vigorously.

Random thoughts and questions --

He's still in the doggy adolescent period.  It can be a challenging time.

What breed or mix is he?  That has a lot to do with how easily trainable a dog is.  Some dogs are bred to be more independent, others more compliant to human direction.  The independent ones often (incorrectly, IMO) get labeled as stubborn.  Little dogs have long been bred simply to be human companions (and body warners) and not much has been expected of them in terms of training.  So it's not something breeders tend to focus on much.  It certainly doesn't mean they can't be trained, but it often requires different tactics and persistence than with a breed that has for centuries been bred to work with and for humans like sporting and herding breeds.

Is it possible he's beginning to develop separation anxiety?  That's a whole 'nother world beyond simply not "wanting" to be crated.

He's as mutt as mutt can be, though the Chihuahua seems most prominent. His "give away-ers" claimed Chi, Pomeranian, Pug, and Maltese.  We think we see some Schnauzer.

I am starting to worry about separation anxiety.  My aunt just sent me a link for Thunder Shirts, and I'm considering giving that a shot.

We all adore cuddling with him, but we need human lives, too, lol.

For my anxious dog, what helped at that teen stage was being leashed to a human when she wasn't in her crate.  We spent about a week with her leashed to either DD or I all the time.  It helped her get it solid that she needed to pay attention to us.  Inconvient, but it really got the training solid.  Corrections were immediate and DD and I were more consistent with commands with her onleash, which helped.  I think the dog enjoyed the extra attention as well.

• Like 1