Menu

WEM and 52 books in 52 weeks

I have coined 2016 as "the year of reading" in my life. Okay, it hasn't even started, yet, so I don't know how things will play out, but I have a deep desire to dig into all the classics I missed in my own education.

I opened up The WEM this morning (I only wrapped it myself so I wouldn't start reading it the day it arrived from Amazon) and I am eager to start. I will say I am a little upset that Susan recommends reading chronologically. I envisioned a year with lovely classics maybe starting with Pride and Prejudice. Seriously, Don Quixote first?!? Yet, I'm somehow still interested in Susan's method, as I really respect her and she has a lot more wisdom as to where I should start than I do.

Anyways, anyone else currently working through the list?

Also, I have been reading older threads on the topic and saw mention of a 52 books in 52 weeks group. Is this still active and where do they post?

• Like 1

Also, I have been reading older threads on the topic and saw mention of a 52 books in 52 weeks group. Is this still active and where do they post?

Yes it is, and their thread is posted weekly on a Sunday on the chat board.

All are welcome, from paranormal romance readers to overachievers like you.   :laugh:

Edited by Rosie_0801
  • Like 4

Yes it is, and their thread is posted weekly on a Sunday on the chat board.

All are welcome, from paranormal romance readers to overachievers like you. :laugh:

Well, I will say that I am not really a seriously reader, mainly getting my fill in homeschooling/spiritual books the past 10 years. If I get anywhere close to 52 books, I guarantee you they will not all be from this list. I will need a lot of light stuff to keep me sane. Maybe attempt one Classic a month, is what I am thinking.

• Like 3

Well, I will say that I am not really a seriously reader, mainly getting my fill in homeschooling/spiritual books the past 10 years. If I get anywhere close to 52 books, I guarantee you they will not all be from this list. I will need a lot of light stuff to keep me sane. Maybe attempt one Classic a month, is what I am thinking.

You're welcome in the book a week thread anyway. :) 

People are plotting their reading goals for next year, so why not come in and chat too? http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/580690-book-a-week-2015-bw51-winter-solstice/

• Like 3

You're welcome in the book a week thread anyway. :)

I agree. They are very welcoming in the book a week thread. I pop in only on rare occasions, yet always feel right at home.

OP, I read Don Quixote on the Book a Year (or two) plan. ;) For whatever reason I enjoy it best in small bursts.

(True confession: I'm still not finished. :blushing: Maybe not wanting it to end? In my defense, I have read many books during the time spans in between DQ bursts.... Trying to redeem myself, lest I be banned from the book a week thread for pushing the time frame limits a bit too far.... :ph34r: :laugh: )

Seriously though, the book a week thread is full of splendid fun and encouragement no matter what you are reading or how quickly. Highly recommended.

I think reading should be approached with an open attitude of finding what works for you. Gather ideas from various sources, but make the final plan unique to you. That might quite possibly be the only way the plan will actually work.

Don Quixote doesn't draw you in? Don't read it! Life's too short and there are too many other worthy books calling your name...

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 3

I have coined 2016 as "the year of reading" in my life. Okay, it hasn't even started, yet, so I don't know how things will play out, but I have a deep desire to dig into all the classics I missed in my own education.

I opened up The WEM this morning (I only wrapped it myself so I wouldn't start reading it the day it arrived from Amazon) and I am eager to start. I will say I am a little upset that Susan recommends reading chronologically. I envisioned a year with lovely classics maybe starting with Pride and Prejudice. Seriously, Don Quixote first?!? Yet, I'm somehow still interested in Susan's method, as I really respect her and she has a lot more wisdom as to where I should start than I do.

Anyways, anyone else currently working through the list?

First of all, as a charter member of the 52 books in 52 weeks group (which started in 2009!!), please join us! You are welcome to talk about ANY ol' book you are reading. You'll find yourself creating a long wish list of books to read from classics to sci fi to mysteries to paranormal romance.  We usually post updates on our reading each Sunday, then there is some lively banter throughout the week.  Some women are prolific readers -- it is breathtaking the number of books they read a week. Some read very esoteric stuff and have the most erudite commentary about it, which can be a little intimidating. Some mostly read romance books or mysteries. If you stick around there long enough you'll start reading books you'd never have otherwise tried. But not a single lady is a book snob, and it is a very warm and friendly group of all ages. (Several of us have long since graduated our homeschoolers but have stuck around primarily for this thread.) We are on the chat board. 

Second of all, I loved the sections in the WEM on how to read a work, things like keeping a journal, learning how to think about a book and how and why to reread it. Those methods and skills can be used on any book. I also loved the background she gives of the different genres, and the different tips on reading those genres.  I mostly used WEM for starting and leading discussions when I had high school kids. But, bless her heart, SWB is a tad OCD when it comes to organizing things chronologically!!  I see her point, but if you are new to it, Don Quixote is probably not the best place to start.  I vote for Pride and Prejudice and take it from there.

• Like 4

I think you'd be cheating yourself if you read Pride and Prejudice in a week - save one week reads for things like Father Brown or Michael Crichton or such. It's like wondering whether you can finish a $400 top-of-the-line 12 course meal in 30 minutes. You could, but what would be the point? Finish a hamburger in that time, and savor the feast. (And there are plenty of hamburgers...)

Emily (who has been influenced by the slow pace of Charlotte Mason reading and actually come to enjoy reading lots of books slowly and simultaneously)

• Like 1

I think you'd be cheating yourself if you read Pride and Prejudice in a week - save one week reads for things like Father Brown or Michael Crichton or such. It's like wondering whether you can finish a $400 top-of-the-line 12 course meal in 30 minutes. You could, but what would be the point? Finish a hamburger in that time, and savor the feast. (And there are plenty of hamburgers...)

Emily (who has been influenced by the slow pace of Charlotte Mason reading and actually come to enjoy reading lots of books slowly and simultaneously)

I'm a CM fan, but I don't think there is a universal best speed for obtaining the optimal enjoyment or benefit from a book.

My daughter just read Crime and Punishment in three days. She's been talking about it in such a way that I can tell it's one of those books that will steep in her mind and seep into her soul for days, weeks, months, and years...

The speed in which she read it was almost like watching a starved soul. I wouldn't dream of depriving her of such nourishment...

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 2

I got my WEM 2nd edition for Christmas and started it recently. (I don't own the 1st edition, but always wanted to have it. Now that I have a high schooler, it is time!)

I've had times in the past when I wish for a commonplace book, but I'm really thinking of pulling out one of my extra notebooks & turning it into one. I'm reading Make It Stick from the library (and about four other books) and want to hold onto some of the gems in it! (Note: I read How We Learn first and there are a lot of overlaps since the author of HWL obviously read & took copious notes from MIS.)