Menu

Foreign language program to learn Russian that is worth high school credits (but not Rosetta Stone)?

I am looking for a program for my oldest to learn Russian that would be considered high school credit worthy (but not Rosetta Stone. It keeps crashing our computers.) He is doing Mango Languages and Duolingo for now. But I doubt that would be equivalent of high school credit. What else is there that would cover Russian?

Thank you.

• Like 1

My daughter studies Russian with a tutor who was recommended on these boards. We use material that she requires, but they are completely in Russian. Here is her website http://bytheonionsea.com/

We also use supplementary material from Red Kalinka, and they offer a full program worth high school credits. Here is the website http://www.redkalinka.com/Learn-Russian-With-Us.html.

• Like 2

We used these books for ds. We only did a few lessons but ds opted to drop it and focus on Japanese, although he does hope to return to Russian at some point. this was one I could find in book form with audio (on their website) and answers. 

I like this Penguin book - but there is no audio support. 

We also did some of the Foreign Service Institute Russian. I cannot remember if there was an answer key. It does have audio and we used this to learn the alphabet along with the Penguin book. 

We had also dabbled in few other websites such as Russian Lessons

Have you considered your local community college? Check to see if they offer distance learning/online classes. Although my local CC doesn't offer Russian on site, the course is offered online through a different state CC.

Both of my kids have taken foreign language online through community college. Of course I counted it for high school credit (one semester college = one year high school), but it also gives the advantage of possibly transferring those credits if your kid goes to college.  Partially due to the 10 credits my kid earned through two dual enrollment foreign language classes, she will be graduating college a semester early.