Menu

Age/grade to teach the Pledge of Allegiance ?

Aloha2U

So we'll be GtG next year for K5... and then Geography w/possibly CtC for 1st. Would you teach your dc the Pledge of Allegiance and what the American Flag symbolizes and such... in preK, K or 1st? Those of you who've used GtG or CtC... do they cover it or do you use something in addition?

Thank you,

Melissa

I haven't used the curriculum you've mentioned but we have the kids say it daily as part of school. My dd5 and dd9 know all of it and it's meaning. My dd3 can say pieces of it. We didn't push it but more so just continued to say it until they picked up on it. HTH some.

So we'll be GtG next year for K5... and then Geography w/possibly CtC for 1st. Would you teach your dc the Pledge of Allegiance and what the American Flag symbolizes and such... in preK, K or 1st? Those of you who've used GtG or CtC... do they cover it or do you use something in addition?

Thank you,

Melissa

We are doing GtG this year for dd's 1st grade and just covered the United States. Teaching the Pledge of Allegiance and the American Flag seemed quite appropriate for her. My ds, who is 4, didn't really get into it at all. But I think it would be appropriate for Kinder.

GtG offers a selection of books for learning about the flag, and a few activities. I didn't feel the need to use anything in addition.

HTH!

We will also be teaching the original version in historical context. We'll discuss the changes when we reach that point, as well.

We've been homeschooling for 3 years, and this is the opening of our day. My son was able to recite it when he was about 3 1/2 - 4 (though words like "allegiance" and "indivisible" were not exactly correct!!).

Where did you find the original version?? I'd love to see it and be able to discuss the differences with my children.

We've been homeschooling for 3 years, and this is the opening of our day. My son was able to recite it when he was about 3 1/2 - 4 (though words like "allegiance" and "indivisible" were not exactly correct!!).

Where did you find the original version?? I'd love to see it and be able to discuss the differences with my children.

It's the same, except the words "under God" are left out.

We simply learned the Pledge of Allegiance as part of life in preK. Same with the flag. We are in different situations -- scouts, church, 4-H, baseball games, etc., where the Pledge and flag are presented so I felt like they should be versed in etiquette and memorizing the pledge was probably among our first memory work.

Here are some of the sites I found to use:

http://www.homeofheroes.com/hallofheroes/1st_floor/flag/1bfc_pledge.html

http://history.vineyard.net/pledge.htm

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/pledge.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

There are others, including ones that some would probably find offensive. I just did a google search for: Pledge of Allegiance original.