Menu

AP at Homeschool Group or Dual Enrollment

We have an amazing Academic Homeschool group.  The teachers are amazing.  Specifically the teacher that teaches History and English for high school.  She is energetic, and extremely motivated.  My son will be a Junior next year.  Our plan was to send him to the local community college for History and English next year.  But, this teacher has told me that she will be offering AP American History and AP Literature and Comp.  My son learns well from her, and she loves him in her classes, it's a great match.  Not only that, but she has deep ties to the college that he wants to attend, so she can help him there.

I'm leaning towards having him do the AP with this teacher, instead of dual enrollment.  Is this the right decision?  Would he be missing out on something? Should he be on campus for something his Junior year.  He wouldn't go for maths and sciences, these subjects are not his strengths. 

Thanks!!!! 

Edited by abdesigns

In general, I go with excellence first and foremost when I'm outsourcing. If I didn't have strong recommendations for a specific dual enrollment class/professor, I don't do it.

One of mine has more opportunities for excellent outside teachers at the high school level than the other did because of interest, so she'll probably have more AP credits than dual enrollment. And that's fine.

• Like 2

Sounds like all "pros" and no "cons" to continuing with this teacher at the homeschool group. :) That makes the decision easy!  :laugh:

If I were in your situation, I would ask "What does the dual enrollment offer that tops all of the homeschool group class/teacher advantages?" Because that's the only reason I'd give up all those "good things" and advantages, is if the dual enrollment could offer more/better "good things".

The homeschool classes pros, and no cons:

- friends

- excellent teacher

- potential college credit (if DS scores well on the AP tests for each of these)

- subject areas of high interest taught in a way that DS really enjoys

- teacher with college of choice connections

The dual enrollment pros/cons… ?? … ?

JMO, but of all the classes to take as dual enrollment, History and Literature are usually the ones that potentially are the most troublesome and often offer high school students/homeschool families the least benefit… Math gives you higher levels of maths with a live teacher; Science gives you labs; Foreign Language gives you regular listening/speaking practice and an experienced instructor. But History and English can be taught from a slant you weren't expecting, using books that focus on adult topics, with students who are likely there because the class is a requirement -- not because of high interest.

What about having DS do foreign language this year and next as dual enrollment? Those 4 semesters would knock out not only his high school foreign language requirement, but would also take care of any college degree requirement for foreign language! :) Win-win! :)

Also, no reason you can't wait until senior year to dip a toe in the water of dual enrollment. We waited until 12th grade and it worked perfectly. :) Your DS could explore some vocational-tech courses and potentially go for an Associate's degree first before going to a 4-year university. Or he could try out a few dual enrollment classes in areas of personal interest for Electives. Or, he could knock out a few of the misc. general ed. requirements that his college degree program of interest requires, such as Computer, or Speech/Communications. All kinds of options! :)

BEST of luck, whatever your family decides. Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- I have to ask… Love your avatar image. I can't place it, but it sure seems familiar… Which artist/work is that from?

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

It seemed really strange to me, but I've read (on here & elsewhere) that many colleges actually prefer AP classes (well, AP test results!) to community college dual enrollment.

I would have thought that a college class would be preferable, but AP tests are the same all over the US while community college classes differ in content & difficulty level.

So, sounds like the AP route is full of positives!

Lori D - Gustave Courbet "The Desperate Man"

• Like 3

Another plus to staying with the AP/homeschool group class is that he will have a WONDERFUL teacher recommendation from someone who REALLY knows him when the time comes. The importance of that cannot be overstated, imho. (although, he may need TWO teacher recommendations... depends on the universities where he will be applying... so that'll be something to keep in the back of your mind as you plan for next year.)

HIs senior year can be spent experiencing CC classes and all that entails. :)

• Like 5

It seemed really strange to me, but I've read (on here & elsewhere) that many colleges actually prefer AP classes (well, AP test results!) to community college dual enrollment.

I would have thought that a college class would be preferable, but AP tests are the same all over the US while community college classes differ in content & difficulty level.

I agree! I've even seen elite schools that don't accept DE of any kind, but they accept AP. Of course, for other schools it might be the reverse. Certainly something to consider!  

I agree! I've even seen elite schools that don't accept DE of any kind, but they accept AP. Of course, for other schools it might be the reverse. Certainly something to consider!  

Yes, it can work the reverse as well, as what is considered an "AP level class" varies so widely, that colleges don't really look at "Honors" and "AP" titles on classes, but just the AP test scores. And not all colleges grant credit for even high AP test scores -- although if they don't, they do often give the student with the high AP test score "perks", such as ability to join honors programs as a freshman...

And, again, depending on the 4-year university and on the community college where the dual enrollment was earned, the dual enrollment can knock off as much as 2 years of the college degree AND the student still enters at freshman status and so is eligible for freshman scholarships...

It all comes down to research, research, research -- what colleges and universities accept what… ;)

• Like 2

We attended an open house at Davidson College (highly selective) a few weeks ago and I asked the admissions representative about DE vs AP for homeschoolers. She said that the important thing was to explain in the application the reasoning behind the educational choices made. I mentioned that, in our case, it would be primarily between online AP or DE for more classroom experience, and she mentioned that then you get into the question of how to evaluate the online classes. 

Davidson is one that doesn't usually accept DE for credit unless it is beyond what is required for high school or admission to Davidson but will AP http://www.davidson.edu/admission-and-financial-aid/how-to-apply/admission-policies. They are not known to be very welcoming to homeschoolers, however.

In our situation, we don't have access to a classroom situation for AP or to a highly academic co-op, so I am thinking having some DE classroom experience junior year to put on the application and for preparation for college will be helpful. Davidson would be a reach in all senses, so  it's not our sole measure of the best plan of action. Many of her other options would accept DE and even CLEP for credit.

• Like 2

AP and DE are decided upon by individual schools. If your kiddo has sights on a particular school, get connected with an Admissions Counselor and find out which one they'll take and for how many credits? Both are going to cost time and money and if the school won't accept either/ will accept both for college credit, it might change how you make the decision.

• Like 1

My son has taken 1 AP course (English & Comp), and by the end of his senior year this spring, will have taken 11 DE courses at the community college. He applied to 3 schools early action, and was accepted to all 3. So, I don't think there is a general rule of thumb to go by. In your instance, the AP option sounds like it will work for now, but down the road, especially some really unique electives, DE may serve the student better.