Menu

What to do with an acorn squash?

My daughter and I have made this, and it is wonderful! I have left out the brown sugar (I am diabetic) and the olive oil and used 1% milk to make it healthier, and it still came out wonderfully. If you don't use oil, you can do what is called a healthy saute with the onions cooked in a bit of broth.

Acorn Squash Bisque

Prep Time: 30 mins

Cook Time: 1 h 10 mins

Rest Time: 10 mins

Total Time: 1 h 40 mins

Ingredients

• 2 medium squash, acorn
  • 1 tablespoon oil, olive
  • 1/2 cup(s) onion(s), chopped
  • 14 ounce(s) vegetable broth or water
  • 1/4 cup(s) water
  • 2 tablespoon sugar, brown (packed)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • cinnamon, ground, (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper, white, or ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup(s) half-and-half, or light cream
  • pumpkin seeds, (optional)

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Wash squash, halve, and remove seeds. Place squash halves, cut sides down, in a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender. Let squash cool about 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a spoon, remove squash pulp from shells. Discard shells.

2. In a large saucepan, heat hot oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender, stirring frequently. Add squash pulp, broth, and the water. Cook over medium-high heat until mixture just reaches boiling, stirring frequently. Stir in brown sugar, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and pepper

Bake in oven without any toppings. Clean out seeds. Puree in blender. Use in your favorite pumpkin pie recipe (preferably the one on the back of the Libby Pumpkin can). It's the only way I will eat squash.

Stephanie

So a squash pie, or you prepare it like pie filling and serve as a side dish? How many squash would you need - enough to equal a can of pumpkin? Dc would love this!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Baked-Chicken-and-Acorn-Squash

It's a taste of home recipe that I made last week and everyone loved. So good, in fact, that we're having it again tonight.

I've attached the site address above.

Here's a cut and paste:

Ingredients:

* 2 small acorn squash (1-1/4 pounds)

* 2 to 4 garlic cloves, minced

* 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided

* 4 chicken drumsticks (4 ounces each)

* 4 bone-in chicken thighs (4 ounces each)

* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar

* 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced peaches, undrained

Directions:

Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Cut each half widthwise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place slices in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with garlic and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.

In a large skillet, brown chicken in remaining oil. Arrange chicken over squash. Combine the brown sugar, rosemary and salt; sprinkle over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes, basting with pan juices twice.

Pour peaches over chicken and squash. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear and peaches are heated through. Yield: 4 servings.

So a squash pie, or you prepare it like pie filling and serve as a side dish? How many squash would you need - enough to equal a can of pumpkin? Dc would love this!

Yep it makes a squash Dessert pie. You just substitute the squash for the pumpkin, use all the normal spices, pour it in the crust etc. It tastes like pumpkin pie but is bit richer flavor. My dad won't eat pumpkin pie anymore, only squash or sweet potato made with the pumpkin pie recipe. And yes you need the amount equal to the can of pumpkin. Also if the squash is a bit too dry to run through the blender you can add a bit of water to thin it down.