Menu

Suggestions for Math Books

4Kiddos

I am coming AGAIN to ask for book recommendations. (I love you all so much! Thank you!) My 7 year old really loves math and would like some more "math books to read" (not curriculum). We have some lower level math picture books but he needs harder ones both in the math and the reading level. In January he will start MEP 5 and Beast 4. So I would like to find some books that are beyond that if such a thing exists. He can read and comprehend pretty much anything well.

Some people here mention Life of Fred. Do you think those would be a good choice? If so, what level would you start at? I am not looking for another math curriculum but someone mentioned that they might be good just for him to read through for fun since he likes math. What do you think?

Edited by 4Kiddos

I recommend the Murderous Maths book set.

The maths in it ranges from the foundations right through to a high level and the books are written in a funny and engaging way.

We also love the Murderous Maths stand-alone book called The Murderous Maths of Everything. Highly recommend it. It's large and in colour and very entertaining.

http://www.amazon.com/Murderous-Maths-Everything-Kjartan-Poskitt/dp/1407131435

We use Life of Fred. I don't really use it as our sole maths curriculum, by any means. We enjoy the story and we use the interesting content as springboards to other research or hands-on investigations.

At age 8-9 my mathy daughter has worked through pre-algebra with physics and now we're halfway through pre-algebra with biology.

I think people use Life of Fred in different ways. I don't insist on the written maths questions, as this isn't our main goal with the books. The math content of these two books (physics and biology) hasn't offered her anything new yet, but it's a way to revise that is engaging. It suits us well. We like our learning with a dose of humour. We discuss the maths, enjoy the story and learn some physics and biology.

• Like 1

Thank you! Unfortunately, I already have Penrose and Sir Cumference. Plus, Greg Tang, Zaccaro, Number Devil, and some Pythagoras and Fibonacci. I was hoping there might be something more or at a higher level.

This thread has a lot of links to books and resources that you might find useful:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

Thank you! Unfortunately, I already have Penrose and Sir Cumference. Plus, Greg Tang, Zaccaro, Number Devil, and some Pythagoras and Fibonacci. I was hoping there might be something more or at a higher level.

I have a number of non traditional math resources linked in my siggy. The Aha Insight and Gotcha books by Martin Gardner were a hit here after and alongside Penrose and Number Devil. Number Freak is an all time favorite too (for prime number and other number trivia).

• Like 1

Oh thank you so much for all of these resources. I am busy checking them all out! My son will be so excited. Thank you so incredibly much. It is such a blessing to me to have others who can help me figure this kid out and know of resources that will help him. I am so grateful.