Menu

Music history course audio download?

I'd recommend the Audible audiobooks "The History of Classical Music" by Richard Fawkes and "The Story of Classical Music" by Darren Henley. My kids enjoyed both when they were younger.

For something more in depth, I recommend "How To Listen to and Understand Great Music" by Dr. Robert Greenberg from The Great Courses. It's less expensive to buy the audio version of the course from Audible, I think.

You can download audiobooks and courses from Audible, or you can stream them via the mobile application.

Audible also has "The 30 Greatest Orchestral Works" which was just a few dollars last week. The accompanying guidebook describes the first lecture an introduction, and then great composers are followed in chronological order with discussion of the stylistic techniques. The guide includes lots of definitions for musical terms and it's way more than I learned in my college honors music appreciation course.

ETA: for your kids, I would recommend the "Famous Composers" and "More Famous Composers" albums by Darren Henley and Marin Alsop. They are available on Audible, and my library has them too. The Story of Classical Music Henley also looks good.

Edited by ondreeuh

If you get the Audible version of these Great Courses, make sure to check your Audible account from the computer. A PDF of the guidebook is usually available for download from the Library page. In the "Title" column, there is a link labeled "PDF." Finding that I had access to the entire Guidebook just as if I'd bought the stream from The Teaching Company was amazing.

The guidebook often lists other books, has discussion questions, or essay questions for when your kids are older should you wish to use any of them as part of a high school class.

Enjoy!

Edited to add:  The "How to Listen to & Understand Great Music" one doesn't have discussion questions, but there are several pages of extra information that probably was displayed on-screen in the dvd format. At the end, it includes a timeline, glossary of words, biographical notes, and a bibliography.

Edited by RootAnn