Menu

Talk to me about Elemental Science

kolamum

This is the one science programme I keep comign back to. The only thing holding me from jumping in feet first is the lack of literature/books. It IS, however, to the point which I like. Not sure I can order the supply kits which is a bummer, but we could round it all up ourselves.

If you use it do you like it?
How long does it take each day?
Do you do it daily or a few times a week?

For someone with vision/writing issues is this going to be a problem?

How hard will it be to come up with the supplies myself?

Do you own the digital or the hard copies? Why did you choose what you did?

Does your child like it?

Are the experiments complicated?

And, as long as I'm asking a million & one questions, exactly why has Susan Wise Bauer decided to put together science for every level that is fun, engaging, & worthy of my time to use?! I mean, it's not like she could possibly be busy... ;)  

How old are your kids and what topic/level are you considering?

We used Biology for the Grammar Stage. It was perfect for 1st grade. I probably wouldn't use it for over 2nd grade. We moved to CKE Earth and Space for 2nd grade, but I've decided to go back to Elemental Science for 3rd grade.

My daughter LOVED the memory work, which is similar to FLL (but you could also skip that if it's not your thing). It's different than other science curriculum in that the text is separate, so you will have to buy and reference the spines that are recommended to go with the curriculum. This was the biggest problem I had with it. If you are bothered by, "Read pages such and such in Book then do experiment on such and such page in Book B" type moving around, then this curriculum with bother you.

The science demonstrations were easy to put together. My dd also loved all the demonstrations we did. I bought the kit, but you really wouldn't have to. The supplies would be easy to find.

We supplemented a lot with books from our library. So you can add whatever literature you want. Each chapter has a list of recommended books.

There are 2-day and 5-day schedules. We did the 2-day schedule very easily in about 1 hour per day....more if you choose to add reading. I'm not sure how intense the logic stage books are though.

Again in the grammar stage, you could definitely work around any vision/writing issues. It includes narration exercises, so very little writing if any.

I chose to buy the hardcopy TG and student workbook. That's just my personal preference because I hate printing stuff.

We use elemental science, although I do combine it with REAL Science odyssey for one of my kids. My 10 year old is currently working on Biology for the Logic Stage and my 8 year old is currently working on physics for the grammar stage. We have gone through most of the grammar stage, although we skipped most of biology. That was our least favorite. Chemistry and Earth/space went really well.

It's simple and straightforward. Earth science and chemistry for the grammar stage have excellent book lists. The only reason I combine it with RSO is that my 8 year old cannot get enough science so we ended up doing experiments and demonstrations from both RSO and ES. We did this with chemistry and are also combining for physics. My 10 year is fine just doing elemental science.

Some days take longer than others, but honestly, it doesn't really take that long. Maybe 30 minutes tops for the grammar stage unless there is a really involved experiment. I think the logic stage is taking my 10 year old about 45 minutes, maybe. I'm not really timing her, but she does the 2 day a week schedule.

We do not do the memory work. The poems seemed a bit cheesy to me.

There is a lot of writing involved and we do not do all of the writing. My 8 year old hates to write, so I have to carefully pick and choose what he writes. Usually vocabulary is what we skip - I would rather have him write out his own observation or something that interested him about the reading. And when I do get him to write, it is usually only a sentence or two. I also read everything aloud to him. He can read but I still read to him.

My 10 year old likes to write and she sometimes still skips vocabulary. So a strong writer will find the assignments do-able. She works independently.

We do PDFs. I like being able to print out as many copies as I need. Also, I originally intended to have my kids do science together so I wanted to be able to print out multiple copies, but it has worked better for them to work separately.

The experiments are not complicated and for the most part I've been able to find all of the supplies easily. I didn't buy the supply kit. Although I think the biology for the logic stage supplies are probably more involved, so I will have to search around for those since dissection occurs later in the year.

So we like it. There isn't anything fancy about it - no fancy graphics or cute worksheets, but there are lots of ways you can add on to it and adjust it to meet your needs. The writer has included extra activities if your kid wants to do more, and we try to check out as many of the additional readings as we can from the library. Also, the abundance of activities mean that it's very hands on.

If you use it do you like it?

How long does it take each day?

Do you do it daily or a few times a week?

For someone with vision/writing issues is this going to be a problem?

How hard will it be to come up with the supplies myself?

Do you own the digital or the hard copies? Why did you choose what you did?

Does your child like it?

Are the experiments complicated?

My children would be in grades 6 & 8. They both have VPD/SSS/Irlen which means that they are behind grade level in writing & one has it severely enough he may never be on grade level without using dictation programmes. So I always get a little edgy about things with excess writing. 

I'm really looking at the Earth Science & Astronomy. We're doing Chemistry/Physics/Biology now with BkSk, so the format of ES isn't that big of a deal to me. The problem is BkSk's next science up is the ONLY one they have left. I'd like to combine it with Earth Science {which it sorta kinda covers in Level 6 & some more in Level 7}

PDF for workbook is a good point, especially since both my children have to have things printed on specific shades of paper.. I, however, prefer "real" books. :lol: I just find them easier to cope with. Hmm, I think the writing might be what scared me off previously on this science, but I can't remember.. Science is my #1 weak subject & in 11 years of homeschooling I've yet to find contentment with any curriculum, all though BkSk has come THE closest.

I used Elemental science Earth Science and Astronomy logic stage with my then 6th grader,  It is straightforward, and he really learned a lot.  We did add in videos and alternate books as we found them.

As for the writing, yes that can be overwhelming.  However, you do not need to assign all of it.  For example, when the child is supposed to either outline or summarize the readings, you could do that orally.  I would suggest writing down the answers to the discussion questions so they will have a study guide for the tests - if you will use them.  We found the tests to be fair - required review and some studying, without being overwhelming.

The vocab words - only a few are assigned each week.  you could make flash cards out of them 

We generally did it 2 - 3 days a week.  Day one was experiment day.  Most supplies were easy to get, or I already had.  On average, this day took the longest, about an hour.

Day two he would do the readings and outline, and discuss.  Day three, he would do vocab, dates and sketch (sometimes he did these on days one and two).  As well as any additional readings.

Oh, and we used the pdfs  Though I love the look of the books!

Yes we enjoyed it.  And recommend it.

Elemental Science can be as hard or as easy and as fun or as boring as you make it.  We used REAL Science Odyssey Chemistry last year and really liked it, but the boys didn't love it, mainly because there weren't enough experiments.  REAL Physics didn't come out before I was doing my lesson plans for this year so we switched for Elemental Science (Physics, Grammar Stage).  We'll be doing Biology for the Logic Stage next year.

Lack of literature:books: You can always get library books on the topic.  We did a few with REAL Chemistry last year, but it didn't go over well with my boys for some reason.

Do you like it?: Yes, very much.

How long each day: We usually do it 3 times a week and how long totally depends on how many experiments we do and how long those experiments take.

Writing issues: Not a problem at all.  I've heard a lot of negative reviews where people talk about all the writing.  There doesn't have to be a lot of writing.  I have an 8th grader with dysgraphia (who does ES along with his younger brothers plus some extra writing stuff to beef it up to his level), a 4th grader who writes well, and a 2nd grader who is allergic to writing.  I only require them to write a sentence or two once or twice a week about the topic.  It's enough.  They do write up one experiment a week as well.  90% of the time we spend on science is doing experiments.

Hard to find supplies: Not IME.  They do sell kits, but I find it easier to just find my own supplies.  So far there has been almost nothing I couldn't get at our local grocery store or we already had around the house.

Digital or Hard Copies: I always gets digital because I prefer them that way.  I print out what I need to.  This is not just for science.  I do that for all subjects I can.

Do the kids like it: Very much.  Mainly because we do so many experiments.

Experiments complicated: No.  With physics at least, most of the experiments are optional ones that I can choose to do.  We do anywhere from 3 to 10 experiments a week.  Most of them are quick ones.  If you go here: https://thefamilywho.wordpress.com/?s=science- the first four results are science experiments we've done this year doing Elemental Science Physics for the Grammar Stage.

Listening in.  Quick question...

Did anybody use their lapbooks?  Were they decent and easy to assemble?  

I'm considering using ES as my "skeleton" for Earth Science and Astronomy for the next science term, and possibly the next TWO science terms (stretching it over two years by combining it with other resources).  

I'm considering using ES as my "skeleton" for Earth Science and Astronomy for the next science term, and possibly the next TWO science terms (stretching it over two years by combining it with other resources).  

We used part of the grammar stage biology lapbook - just the part covering the human body.  My writing-hater preferred working on the lapbook rather than doing the sheets from the workbook.  It was cute and a nice alternative for a kid who can't stand writing.   I haven't used the stand alone lapbooks.

We used them with Biology for the Grammar stage. The habitat one we finished. Started one about the animals, and my dd lost interest. I thought they were well done and easy to put together. My dd is just not interested in lap books, so it was kinda a dud for us. Just a lot of coloring, cutting, and pasting. If your kids like lapbooks, they are good.

I will add that if anybody does Biology for the Grammar stage, I recommend working your way from the back of the book to the front. Plants unit, then human body unit, and then study the animal units last. The animals can get long and boring, and it would just be easier to cut at the end of the year....for me at least.

We tried the Logic Stage Biology.  It was not a hit.  But so far no science curriculum has been a hit so don't listen to me.  But one big tip for the biology - look through all of the experiments and plan your year around the seasons.  It is winter here for six months of the year....everything covered in snow.  Many of the experiments require an outdoor environment not covered in 4 feet of snow.  Like putting an apple outside for a few days to see what happens.  Well....it freezes.  Ha ha!  Or we needed things like slugs and ferns when in reality none of those are available here for most of the school year.  I did do some planning but even pushing all of those things to the beginning of the year (the snow does not melt until we are done in spring), there just was not enough time to squeeze them all in.  I also did not find the kit to be very helpful.  Hard to get things were still missing (like slugs).

• Like 1