Menu

removing silver/amalgam fillings

HappyLady

Has anyone ever done it and replaced them with the composite fillings? I have no reason to do it other than I just hate the way they look. They're on my back teeth and you would only see them if you're really looking, but I've always been self-conscious about them. I've had them since I was a kid (I'm in my 40s now) and have been told a few times that they'll "eventually" need replacing because they don't hold up well, but these suckers are about 30 years old and in perfect condition! 

My DH doesn't think it's a good idea as he thinks once I start messing with my teeth (which are in great condition) that I'll regret it and he says his composite fillings are always cracking.

I know that the silver fillings aren't supposedly good for your health because of the mercury so that's another reason I want them out (though I know taking them out isn't great for you either).

I'm so torn on this! WWYD?

My dentist recommends leaving them alone if they aren't causing any problems. I've had two replaced with composite, but that was because there was a crack in one tooth and decay outside the filling edge on the other. The ones I have left are also about 30 years old and still doing fine.

I've had a couple replaced as they've had issues, but it was AWFUL.  The drilling out of the old filling?  YUCK.  The second time, the dentist hit a nerve or something with the numbing shot, and my face was numb for nearly 24 hours.  I would never do it just for the heck of it.  Voluntary dental work is never the route I'd choose, though; I still have two upper wisdom teeth, at 48, because there has never been a time in my life where I had absolutely nothing better to do with that time or that money.

I had mine removed because of metal allergies.  I don't know that there was a big difference afterward...but I also have to say this:  I have only 2 cavities.  Ever.  So it wasn't a big job.  But I have gotten sort of freaky in my older age and I swear the next time I have dental work done, they are going to have to knock me out flat.  I just don't do well.  What a wuss...two cavities and I can't do any better than this.  But I can't.  

I had mine out by choice.  I went to a biological dentist that had special equipment for removing the mercury vapor when they drill. 

I wish I had done it this way.  There is also some research that shows that teeth can regenerate but I am too jumpy to try it out.  :0/