Menu

Pre-algebra recommendations

ebrindam

I've always been happy with Key To Algebra, which is really pre-Algebra and a reasonable nod in the direction of Algebra 1. Very inexpensive, straightforward, and easy to use. Like other Key To series, you may have to provide extra problems for further practice or review.

Edited by Violet Crown

Is there a reason you want to move onto pre-algebra before you finish Beast Academy? We've loved Beast Academy, and I want to try AoPS pre-algebra, but there's a huge maturity jump between the two materials. While waiting for Beast to publish more, we've decided to spend the time doing Rightstart Geometry, Murderous Math, Life of Fred, Jousting Armadillos, and some other living math books. Once we've finished Beast, then we'll try AoPS pre-algebra.

Edited by MrsWeasley

This older thread covers many of the options. I can't recall if it includes Jousting Armadillos or Math Mammoth 7.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/342798-pre-algebra-fence-straddlers-master-thread/

We did chapter 1 of AoPS last spring. Then we took a break from structured math until August. Since then, we've been using TabletClass as our starting point combined with Jousting Armadillos (which she hated last spring but likes a lot now). It works okay. I don't think TabletClass goes into enough conceptual explanation nor provides enough practice. However, it takes the initial burden off teaching for me. I can then just focus on providing additional conceptual understanding (with JA) or practice or nothing if she gets it. I use Dolciani, Lial, Key to Algebra and some other random materials for additional practice. I have Math Mammoth too, but we've never liked that curriculum's style and still don't. So, I don't really use it. 

I'm still contemplating going back through some topics with AoPS pre-algebra. She does not have the patience or inherent interest in math to do it on her own with the discovery method, but she does well with it if we partner with it. I think it will work better for us to use it to go back to it after using these other programs. This is not how most people use it. But, I'm working with a perfectionist who is intolerant of failure. We have made significant progress with this by using Beast Academy over the years, but the emotional leap to AoPS was a big one for her. 

Our general approach to math has been consistent with this approach. We have never stuck with a single curriculum because of DD's learning style. If she gets a concept, we don't need to spend much time on it. If she gets stuck, doing more of the same doesn't help. I have to pull in a variety of perspectives, and then she leaps ahead several concepts. 

My point? Each of these programs provide similar material in different ways. So, don't get swayed to use a particular program just because other people do.

We are using Saxon. Of course, we no longer try to do a new chapter each day or several chapters a week. Remember 30 problems are in each chapter. At least from my viewing so far. However, that may be perfect for your family.

Since making that change, I don't think we will be switching.