Menu

S/O Tips/thank you presents

mamiof5

The gift for the realtor thread just got me thinking...why do I think about tipping/thanking (with a gift) some occupations/services more than others? We tio tip the usual... waitresses, massage gal, pedicure gal, but I think that's about it. Now I am thinking... why don't I tip cashiers, grocery baggers, mailman,post office clerk or think of thank you presents to the staff at the Dr or dentist office etc. I mean,I'd go broke if I tipped everyone or got presents for everyone...but how do you decide? Thoughts??

I don't tip anyone except the person who does my hair and the wait staff at a restaurant. I have friends who tip EVERYONE.

I think we have a thread like this every year during the holidays. And some people chime in and tell about all the tipping they do, and some people are like me and say they never even think to tip.

I think it's all in how/where you're raised. It never even crosses my mind to tip anyone.

I only tip if it part of the paycheck (waitress) or if I have gotten very good service (my mail lady has been great this year) other than that I am too poor.  But because I am poor, I don't get into situations where I have to tip-- I cut our hair, I don't use valets, or travel, -- so take my advice with a grain of salt. Personally, I prefer to "pay" people with my service--- the teachers at my children's enrichment-- I volunteer a lot when they need it instead of a big Christmas present, our mechanic went out of his way with my van--- last weekend I drove across town to deliver a part he needed, that we had, instead of making him wait until Monday when we opened. 

We just sold/bought houses. We didn't tip or give a gift to our realtor. She did make two hefty commissions though. And got a great online review, plus a referral. It didn't occur to me to tip her.

I tip hair people, wait staff, hotel maids, taxis, and anyone traditionally tipped. Once a year we give a gift to the mail carrier and garbage collectors.