Menu

Dog digging to get under the fence. Any ideas for deterrent?

ScoutTN

Our new dog is mostly good, BUT he digs to get under the fence toward a neighbor's yard. Neighbor has a dog too, who also digs at the fence.

Our dog does not dig from boredom or when we are not here.

We have some pavers in the holes now, and dirt filled back in. We have tried cayenne pepper and expensive spray from the pet store and neither worked. He ate the hot pepper!

Any suggestions? Especially ones not too expensive. Invisible fence is not in the budget right now.

Its a big stiff grid of metal, 5' x 12' that is used for fencing. Look for it at farm supply/feed stores. Regular hardware stores will provably have it as a special order.

We have them lining our dog kennel and fence. We haven't had a dog dig out since.

Stefanie

Get some chicken wire/poultry netting, attach it to the fence (low) and place the rest of it on the ground.  You can cover the part on the ground with mulch or dirt.  That works with just about any kind of fence except vinyl--not sure how you'd attach it to that.

(Pretty much the same thing Stephanie recommended, just using a different material.)

• Like 1

We did the chicken wire thing before the cattle panels. With smart, large and determined dogs it didn't work well. We also had to anchor landscape timbers, in addition to the cattle panels, between the fence posts to prevent them from breaking the boards out.

In short, our backyard is Fort Knox....

Stefanie

Get some chicken wire/poultry netting, attach it to the fence (low) and place the rest of it on the ground.  You can cover the part on the ground with mulch or dirt.  That works with just about any kind of fence except vinyl--not sure how you'd attach it to that.

(Pretty much the same thing Stephanie recommended, just using a different material.)

We did the chicken wire thing before the cattle panels. With smart, large and determined dogs it didn't work well. We also had to anchor landscape timbers, in addition to the cattle panels, between the fence posts to prevent them from breaking the boards out.

In short, our backyard is Fort Knox....

Stefanie

I once had a pair of Houdini dogs, and I did a combination of these things.  First, I took a roll of chicken wire, folded it in half, and put the crease where the fence meets the ground.  It was probably 4" wide chicken wire, so that left 2' going up the fence and 2' extending onto the ground.  The top border, I wired onto the chain link fence with a spool of wire.  The bottom, I used landscaping staples to pin it to the ground and then covered that border with landscaping timbers that were staked into the ground.  Yeah, it was LOVELY, but they stayed in the fence.  Did I mention that I did all this while I was 7 months pregnant, in July, in Atlanta?  So much fun.  Anyway, the biggest problem was the gate.  I couldn't use the gate with chicken wife running up it, so I put chicken wire on the ground and then cut a piece of plywood to cover the bottom half of the gate.  I drilled holes around the edges and secured it to the fence with zip ties.

I hope you find a better answer.  Mine looked horrendous.  Then one of the dogs died, and the survivor became an inside dog.  So I got my yard back and have no fence at all now.

For a previous dog, I used an electric fence (not an invisible fence--an electric one that shocks on contact).  It worked pretty well (and was cheap) when the fence was clean, but if anything grows over it, it grounds the wire.  A feed store could probably fix you up.  You used to be able to buy supplies at Home Depot, but probably not any more.

Good luck.  It is tough to keep a dog in if he is bound and determined to get out.

• Like 1

You name it, we've done it. The only thing that worked for us was the cattle panel/timber combo on a full privacy fence.

One of the times we had electric and page wire fences the dogs found a hole in the squares and were timing it just right to jump over the electric and through the wire. Too smart for their own good. Btw, they always knew when the electric was down.

Stefanie

You name it, we've done it. The only thing that worked for us was the cattle panel/timber combo on a full privacy fence.

One of the times we had electric and page wire fences the dogs found a hole in the squares and were timing it just right to jump over the electric and through the wire. Too smart for their own good. Btw, they always knew when the electric was down.

Stefanie

Oh my gosh. What kind of dogs are they?