Menu

great genealogy class . . .

gardenmom5

Now . . . . I have to learn to read swedish . . . . . .

I have the county and parrish of my 2nd great-grandmother; so I was able to go right to, what is probably, her birth record. 

but there is so much on there, I can't figure out what most of it says.   fortunately, I do know an older couple I may end up visiting.  she's from sweden, and he lived there for years and is fluent.

and my 2nd great-grandfather isn't in the parrish where his supposed brother was born. (as a 2x removed cousin claims.) stockholm has ALOT of parrishes that I now get to look through, but at least, I now know how to look.

I'm resorting to DNA to try to trace our Swedish line, my g-g-grandfather immigrated from Sweden but we haven't been able to trace him back to his family. My dad and I have done 23ansMe kits, I ordered one of those plus one from ancestry.com for my grandmother, need to take them to her. We're hoping there are some cousins to connect with. The Swedish ancestry does show up for me and my dad, also Finnish which is probably coming from the same line.

• Like 1

I agree with the Google translator suggestion.  I use it frequently when looking at old European church books (online).  For my country, the language is one of three, depending on who was ruling at the time.

Another possibility is to see if there are any yahoo groups dedicated to Swedish genealogy. The board for the country I'm researching has several older people who devote a lot of time to helping with inquiries, whether it's specific online research, language translation, or offering tips for travelers.

SUCH a fun hobby!!!

I'm resorting to DNA to try to trace our Swedish line, my g-g-grandfather immigrated from Sweden but we haven't been able to trace him back to his family. My dad and I have done 23ansMe kits, I ordered one of those plus one from ancestry.com for my grandmother, need to take them to her. We're hoping there are some cousins to connect with. The Swedish ancestry does show up for me and my dad, also Finnish which is probably coming from the same line.

she was saying 23&me raised their prices - and it can be cheaper to go through ancestry.  results can also be imported from one company to another.  the 37 marker is most likely to give useful results.  I may end up using it for a 2nd ggf.  but first, I have to find a likely candidate, instead of one of many (granted there weren't many with his name. but he was only there for two years - his wife died, and he gave the baby to the mother's family - so I have no documents on him at all.  only family stories.

If you can find out the county or parrish he came from, (or port of departure? most were malmo or goetheberg.) that should help.  i've got my 2ggm's county and parrish. (don't remember where I found them.)  and there was a matilda b. 10 jan 1850, but the father's name made no sense.  I'm looking at departure records.

I've had dna testing for medical reasons - so I don't know how pertinent that will be to genealogy.

I agree with the Google translator suggestion.  I use it frequently when looking at old European church books (online).  For my country, the language is one of three, depending on who was ruling at the time.

Another possibility is to see if there are any yahoo groups dedicated to Swedish genealogy. The board for the country I'm researching has several older people who devote a lot of time to helping with inquiries, whether it's specific online research, language translation, or offering tips for travelers.

SUCH a fun hobby!!!

ancestry has a tab under learning that has the various genealogy/record terms that you will find on the documents and what they mean.  for various languages.  I found that last nigh.

• Like 1