Menu

Brass instrument help needed

Sherry in OH

Are Glory brand trumpets decent beginner trumpets or just expensive toys? 

What about Mendini or Cecilio trombones?

Any brands I should look for or avoid?   My childred are interested in these instruments.  I do not want to be locked into a rental program, nor can I afford hundreds of dollars for what may be a passing fancy.

I haven't heard of any of the brands you mentioned.  Have you googled to find reviews?

Some reputable beginner trombone brands are Yamaha and Olds (Olds are no longer made).

If your kids will be joining a homeschool band program, you might be able to buy a quality used instrument from a family whose kid has moved up to a higher-end model, or who no longer plays.  The band director should be able to help you find a suitable instrument.  If your child will be taking private lessons, ask the teacher for instrument recommendations. 

With musical instruments, you often get what you pay for.  Low-quality instruments may be hard to keep in tune, or may not be repairable if they get damaged.  For a trombone, a very smooth slide is important.  Neither of my kids are trumpeters so I can't address what to look for in that instrument. 

Also, I personally wouldn't buy a serious musical instrument without having the player try it out in person before buying.  This may be difficult if the child doesn't play well yet.  In that case, his/her teacher can help with the test playing.

For a trumpet, look for Conn, or a Bach or Yamaha student model, with a Bach 7C mouthpiece. I don't know if they make King anymore, but you might find one second-hand. I play a Yamaha, but I also have a Bach student model that my son plays on.

I would avoid First Act or any of the big box store offerings. Basically toys. Ask a local high school director of any of their students are upgrading and selling. Most of my classmates who were planning to keep going in music started acquiring pro models in 10th or 11th grade at the latest.

We purchased a beginner Yamaha trombone when DS began playing (did the rental, then paid it off early.) Part of the reason for the rental was to determine if he would continue playing as we didn't want to spend money for an instrument that wouldn't be used after a year. This summer, we upgraded to another Yahama, but it's a trigger trombone that allows him greater range. We spoke with the music store and researched online before we purchased it. 

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/brass-instruments/jiggs-pbone-plastic-trombone

These are surprisingly not terrible.

They seem to sound better with a real mouthpiece than the plastic one they come with.

A lot of the sound of a brass instrument is actually the player.  Unlike a flute or a violin, for example.

Cecilio violins are pretty terrible soundwise.

I know someone who was playing on a Cecilio trombone and it sounded ok-ish (he wasn't the best player).  The big issue is whether it will fall apart.

If you want something solid, go with a Yamaha student instrument.  You do want a slide that actually slides, though.  It may not if it's a used instrument that hasn't been checked over -- or a cheaper brand.  One instrument of a cheap brand can be ok but the next one off the assembly line will fall apart.  It's hard to know what you're going to get.  You also want to be sure you don't get an instrument with leaks.  They can be hard or impossible to play.  All this can be hard to assess if you're buying online.

I teach beginning trumpet, and the horn makes a big difference. I have never seen a Glory instrument in person, so that makes me very skeptical of it's quality.

Part of the issue is that I can tell you that a Yamaha 2335 is a good solid beginner horn (and it is...), and you should be able to get one from Craig's list with case and accoutrements for ~$200-250, but if you pick one that has been dropped at all or has had undetectable-before-playing damage to the valves it could be very frustrating to play on. Like a PP said, old Holtons, Conns, and Yamahas are good and can be (dare I say?) cheap, but you have to know what you are looking for and preferably have an experienced player try it out before purchase. Last summer I did an experiment and ordered three older trumpets off of ebay: a Conn Director, a Holton, and a Yamaha to compare them to the new Yamaha 2335 I own and was seeing in the classroom. My favorite, easiest to play, and closest to my professional level Bach was the Holton. It was much more solidly made and free blowing than the new Yamahas. But again, you would need someone play a horn to see what was still in working condition and what wasn't. Is there anyone that could do that for you?

Long story to say.... you should be able to pick up a *very* workable instrument, albeit older, for even less $ than a newer beginner Yamaha - perhaps around $100 - most likely being sold by a private individual. You just need help making sure anything you look at is in good shape. Older brands that have the chance to be really good starter horns: King, Yamaha, Conn, Holton, Bach, Getzen....

• Like 1

Here's an article on picking a student trombone: http://www.norlanbewley.com/trombone-tips/trombone-selection.htm

He doesn't mention the plastic trombones I posted above.

But 

This guy talks a lot, but once he gets to playing you can see the comparison of the cheap plastic trombone vs the metal one.

I've played one of the plastic ones.  They're really not all that bad.   I just don't know how they hold up.  But if the plan is just to have something to try out, they might be a cheaper option.  

They also make a plastic trumpet.  I've never tried one of those. 

Course, the big advantage is that you can get one in your school colors.  Or pink.  And if you use the plastic mouthpiece you're less likely to freeze your lips to the instrument in cold weather.

My daughter did play a "plastic" piccolo for awhile. (I think it was a different plastic of some sort than these "brass" instruments).  The sound was actually pretty nice, but the keys weren't as responsive.  It was a fairly nice (and expensive) plastic piccolo, so it might not be comparable.  These composite type materials are getting more popular with piccolos, I think because piccolos made out of traditional materials are so expensive.  You can pick up a good trombone/trumpet for a reasonable price.  Not so much with piccolos.

Some reputable beginner trombone brands are Yamaha and Olds (Olds are no longer made).

I really like my Olds.  Except that the top of it is bent and it is no longer tunable.  However, this being a trombone .... even in first position you can do a lot with changing the intonation.  But, it gets embarrassing when you're playing at a concert and the entire rest of the band is tuning.  And you just can't.  (Also, there's getting to be a lot of corrosion on the slide and I'm not sure I want to pay the money to fix it)

I got it used for $140.  It was already bent.  And that was 15 yrs ago.  So that's one data point on what a used, kind of funky trombone might cost.  (Maybe I got ripped off?)

In any case, it's a great instrument for my daughter to play in pep band.

• Like 1