Menu

LeapPad, Kindle, Tablet? Please help me . . .

Squawky Acres

For Christmas, I would like to get some sort of a tablet for my children (ages 4-8) to share, but don't know very much about technology gifts for kids.  I do not want them to have access to the internet, but would like them to be able to play learning games, shoot movies, take pictures, and listen to audiobooks and memory work mp3s.  It would be a bonus if they could also do Minecraft, as my 7-year-old is dying to have it, but not necessary.  

Does anything do all of this for a reasonable price, or do I really need two devices:  maybe a LeapPad for the 4-year-old's learning games and simple photo apps and a Kindle or similar for the audiobooks and Minecraft?  

I should add that I have an iPod and iPad that I use with them for school (for video and audio), but I feel those devices are too expensive to turn over to the kids unsupervised.

I would go with a Kindle. It will do everything you want it to. We got our kids (4 and 7 at the time) Kindle Fires last year and they still use them a lot. The year before that grandparents bought them LeapPads, (without consulting us!) and they didn't really have staying power. Plus, even though it is less expensive, all the games and stuff are $15-$20. Apps are cheap compared to that!

I have an old iPad that is several years old and has been used extensively and dropped outside and on the tile floor numerous times- the key to that is a really good case. I have a Griffin Survivor. It has really protected it through a LOT!

• Like 1

Not leap pad!!!! Dd1 has an innotab (basically the same thing) and she has out grown most of the games at age 7 (well will be in 13 days). Dh and I plan on getting dd1 a netbook (I have a laptop that I let her use when not doing schoolwork, but so much of her practice stuff for school is online so it makes more sense just get her her own laptop/netbook we will just get some sort of Internet safety thing though she's not proficient at actual Internet use yet)

• Like 1

Kindle Fire of some sort.  Yes, you buy the game and it is shared in your amazon cloud with all your amazon devices.

You can buy the pocket version of Minecraft for less than $10.  Unfortunately, if something goes wrong with your kindle and it does a hard reboot (factory reset), your kids lose all the worlds they have built.  Ask me how I know that...

• Like 1

LeapPads have always been a huge hit in our house (since my 17yo was a little one! Pre-screens!)  Still, we expanded into multiple other tablets because no single one meets every one of our needs.

We don't currently have a working LeapPad in the house, and I'm considering one for the nearly-5yo this Christmas.  All the kids rotate Kindles, iPads/Pods, laptops, etc., but I still find the Leap Pad games to have the best combination of entertainment and education for the 4-7 range.

• Like 1

We love our Kindle Fires. My kids got them 2 Christmases ago. We sprung  for the $50 Otterbox cases  and they have been completely worth it. 2 years and no problems, we don't let them  abuse  them, but  they are kids and have gotten dropped and knocked off tables  on occasion. 

One thing I love about  the Kindle is I have an audible account, so if I buy them an audiobook from there and the accompanying Kindle book (usually discounted if you already have the audio book) the program will highlight the text as it's being read aloud to the child. They love  that and I really think it helps their word recognition. I would skip the Kindle Freetime app for kids. I found I couldn't control it enough to make it worth my while. I just keep the wifi off and the tablets in airplane mode unless I'm downloading something, they couldn't get on our wifi  without the (long and complicated) password  so I don't worry about it  to much.  There are probably parental controls that can do that as well.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the responses!  It seems that the LeapPads may be good for very young children, but have a lot of limitations.  I do heavily use Audible, so that is good to hear that the Kindle works well with those audio books.

I have heard that for Minecraft, I should really just download it to the PC, as that version is better.  I have highly-sensitive, dramatic children who would just about die if a device had to reboot and lost all the worlds they built.

• Like 1

I have heard that for Minecraft, I should really just download it to the PC, as that version is better.  I have highly-sensitive, dramatic children who would just about die if a device had to reboot and lost all the worlds they built.

Yes.  I should have realized the worlds didn't save somewhere in the "cloud," but somehow I hadn't realized before the catastrophe.

I understand the PC version is better too - and I should do the same (now).  I was just saying because the pocket edition has been a good way for my kids to play it a bit and learn about it.  On the Kindle the time is automatically limited and it is easy to restrict, unlike a full PC.  I liked that as a way to start.