Menu

Please help me find free or cheap reading resources

MomtoCandJ

I need free or really cheap resources to help dd1 read at a second grade level. Last year while in first grade she had a change of teachers 6 weeks before the end of the school year and I also feel that the teacher who left didn't prepare the 1st graders well at all for 2nd grade. She didn't communicate well with parents (like if we asked if there was anything dd1 was behind on or was struggling with, she would not say anything specific) and it seemed like she just gave up on these kids she had for her last year because 5 out of 7 kids can not read at grade level now in second grade. Dd1's current teacher said that she has never had this happen where such a large portion of a class qualified for title one reading help. So any resources would be great and I will most likely pass them on to other parents of her class.

I've tried to do a search but no luck :(

Starfall is fun, and if your dd needs to learn the basics, this is a good way. That said, for ds I just used the library. I'm not clear what skills your dd has, but when I decided that I wasn't going to wait for the school to get their act together ds knew his letters and could read words, but wasn't putting those skills together. I'm guessing your dd is at a similar stage? If so, what shifts reading skills ahead is really just using those skills.

Anyhow, I went to the library on my own and spend an hour or so combing through the 'early reader' section for readers that relied on phonics and progressed steadily in difficultly. I identified 3 series that met my criteria. (And we owned another series.) I then went home, researched the series and printed out the lists of books for each. I reserved a couple of books from each set at a time, and we then read them in such a way that ds got LOTS of practice at the same level before we advanced - this was necessary for his confidence and personality. We read every since day, and usually twice a day (two books). Things just took off from there - soon it was clear he was ready for sort 'first chapter books' and within a short while he would finish one of those in one sitting and we stepped it up again. He's been reading 'properly' for 3 years now and I still work to continually up the quality of what he is reading. The system has worked very well for him (he scored very well on his standardised testing) - and it's free.

• Like 1