Menu

Toys from your childhood

I liked Barbies but they weren't my favorite. I had lots of Dawn dolls, a whole set of hippie dolls, don't remember what they were called, the ones I liked were my Sunshine family dolls! They had a mom, dad, and a baby, I think the baby's name was Sweets. They had these cool extras like a crafts shop and each set of clothes or accessories you bought had a little craft with it, for instance the baby set had a diaper pattern to make little diapers for the baby and the kitchen set had instructions to make placemats and napkins.

Another favorite was GI Joes! My favorite one talked and had a fuzzy beard. I had all sorts of uniforms, foot lockers, and accessories. I had the General headquarters which had an elevator and a first aid room. I had the entire first aid set, it had crutches, casts, bandages, even an IV bottle and a stretcher. They were way more fun than Barbie.:D

Best toy ever - and extremely dangerous! - Creepy Crawlers made from Plasti-goop in a real oven that got HOT! LOL. I used to love to hear the sizzle when the metal plate hit the water and see the steam that would rise. I made millions of those creepy crawlers, some of them even glow in the dark.

Next favorite was my bike with the banana seat that took me on adventures everywhere.

I also loved my "Flatsie" dolls. I had the one with the white hair and pink microminiskirt. I am laughing so hard, I would love to have this doll now, she was so cute! I had a Flatsie dollhouse that seems to be in extinction since I can't even find it on Ebay.

And last but not least, Malibu Barbie (the first one). She looks so much nicer than my first barbie, the one that looks like a p*ssed off Lucille Ball and has earrings that (over the years) turned her head green. That was one scary doll.

I loved these toys, and had a very happy childhood!

~Dana

I had several flatsies too, they were so cute. I also had these little dolls called Upsie Downsies. Does anyone remember these? They came with story books about the goings on in Upsy Downsy Land and had cool little vehicles that were shaped like dragons and things. Some of the dolls, the Upsies, stood on their feet. The Downsy dolls stood on their hands.:confused:

Although we were not by any means wealthy, I was a very indulged kid. I had, probably, every toy under the sun, and I'm sure I enjoyed them at the time. But I've been reading this thread and trying to think of anything about which I'm nostalgic . . . Nothing.

I had Dawns and Barbies, and I remember playing with them quite a lot.

I had a large collection of Breyer horses, but they were displayed more than played with.

I had an Atari early on, but I was older by then.

Yeah, just weird. I don't feel any emotional connection to any of that stuff.

Looking back, my favorite passtime when I was a kid was probably holing up in my bedroom with records--especially soundtracks--and dressing up and "performing."

The thing I'm saddest about not having from my childhood is my books. I was a big reader and always had shelves full of books. But when I hit the teen years, my mother talked me into giving away all the "little kid books" to make room on the shelves. Then, when I moved out on my own, I took with me only a box or two of my current favorites. To this day, I will periodically think of a book I used to love and wish I had it to re-read or to give to one of my kids. And so many of them are out of print now.

This is pretty close to me too.

I did have THE WEIRDEST experience last year in a thrift store.

I saw a Fisher Price picnic basket on a shelf and memories came FLOODING back --i got a big case of the warm fuzzies and snatched that thing off the shelf immediately. i could suddenly remeber all the little toys, treasures, kittens, and real food i carted around in one --the places we holed up in, the discussions we had, etc. I hadn't thought of that thing since I was little. when it broke a couple weeks ago I begged DH to fix it :D

I loved my Dressy Bessy doll. And since I had a twin brother, he had Dapper Dan, which I liked as well.

Spirograph, Lite-Brite... I loved those!

I also really liked Colorforms. Do they have those anymore?

Yes, I loved colorforms - and I did see them recently at toys r us.

I had the cheap barbie house with the cardboard walls and elevator - I loved it- I used to make Ken and Barbie dance the night away ahhh.... memories.

Loved my Golden Books - Pokey Little Puppy was my fave.

Cabbage patch kids- the original I still have my girl, boy, and preemie

Rainbow Brite and friends-

I really wanted to like Strawberry Shortcake but my little sister liked that so that was absolutely out along with My Little Pony

We played Little People till all hours (a favorite)

Remember Weebles??? "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down"

Also, had and loved the treehouse

I had several flatsies too, they were so cute. I also had these little dolls called Upsie Downsies. Does anyone remember these? They came with story books about the goings on in Upsy Downsy Land and had cool little vehicles that were shaped like dragons and things. Some of the dolls, the Upsies, stood on their feet. The Downsy dolls stood on their hands.:confused:

Oh my gosh! In an earlier post I thought it was Liddle Kiddles but it's really Upsie Downsies that I have the vague memory of and that I had a storybook for!! I'm off to google them now and for the Flatsies - I had those also - didn't some come in a picture frame? I got mine from Santa at my father's company's Chrstmas Party (maybe Bethlehem Steel?) I was probably 3 about to turn 4!! So Flatsy was another faint memory but not so faint as the Upsie Downsies!

I would much rather read. But I always had a fondness for Fisher Price Little People though and I still do. I have five large boxes of them in my attic patiently waiting for one of my dc to vacate their room so that I can set them up there. Then I can leave them set up using the excuse that the grandbaby might visit and want to play with them. Of course, whenever I do set them up, the entire family plays with them.

We were very poor, but I don't feel that I ever really missed out on anything.....

I had a very wierd half plastic, half cloth monkey that was huge and I think it was maybe a 50's or 60's era toy (this was in the 80's) that was acquired at an auction or something. Its face and hands and feet were pliable plastic material and the rest was matted stuffed cloth.

I had a few sets of doll clothes I put on "her". I even painted her fingernails and put make-up on her. She was most definately my baby and I loved her very much. I don't really remember wishing I had a real doll.

e

This is a great "warm fuzzy" thread. Love it!

I remember some of my favorites and have tried to find them on Ebay, but trying to find toys from the late 60's when you can't remember the name of them is very difficult.

1. I had this doll that I absolutely loved. She was jointed -really jointed with plastic and smelled like vanilla.

2. Tin Dollhouse with all the fixins. I probably contacted some kind of toxic poisoning from it. But I played with that thing for hours on end. Every room was pained and decorated. (probably with lead paint!):001_huh:

3. Definately the spirograph and lite-brite and the colorforms. Best toys ever. Dad hated the lite-brite. He'd always step on the pegs in his bare feet in the middle of the night! ;)

4. Oh, I had the hippie barbie dolls too! And then in the 70's I did get Barbie and Midge. My mom made all of their clothing. I should have kept all of that for my kids.

5. I played a LOT with just crayons, colored paper and scissors. I would make entire zoos, paper doll collections, etc. I don't see kids do that kind of thing anymore. Do they?

6. Oh, my big wheel and then my banana seat bike.

Those were my favorites. We didn't have a lot of money growing up, but I never felt cheated in anyway. As long as I had art materials and my doll, I was good to go. :001_smile: