Menu

Illness - Weird sores on the back of tongue

IfIOnly

My symptoms have been sore throat, congestion, and fatigue. A normal cold, I thought. Today, when brushing my teeth, I noticed many raised, fluid filled looking sores. They look seriously freaky.  I don't think I've noticed anything like them before during a cold or otherwise.  A few of my kids have a couple small-sized sores, but I have lots and bigger ones. What are they?  

Strep?

My first thought was HFM, too.  I hope that's not it, it's miserable, and I have friends who've ended up in the hospital when those sores prevented them from drinking enough fluids.

You might want to go get checked.   :(

I'm not seeing any other sores on the body, but I'll go ahead and make a doctor's appointment in the morning. I'm thinking it might be strep because the sore throat has been around several days and seems to be getting worse. I didn't realize you could get sores with strep, colds, tonsilitis, and HFM until reading up after Susan's and your post.  *Big, heavy sigh.*

• Like 1

Well I just read that if you have blisters on the tongue it's not step and probably HFM, and if it's HFM, there's not treatment just comfort measure recommended.

I wonder if you could take an antiviral?

DS and I had HFM two summers ago and it was miserable. Really bad. And then ... He lost almost all his fingernails! I lost toenails. And our hands and feet peeled like crazy. It was horrific. I really hope you don't have it!

• Like 1

I wonder if you could take an antiviral?

DS and I had HFM two summers ago and it was miserable. Really bad. And then ... He lost almost all his fingernails! I lost toenails. And our hands and feet peeled like crazy. It was horrific. I really hope you don't have it!

That sounds awful! I had no idea anything like that could happen and have never heard if HFM before this thread. Yikes!

I called the doctor this morning and a have an appt. tomorrow morning. I feel worse than yesterday. My throat and congestion and fatigue are the worst symptoms.

• Like 1

cobblestoning.  

My dd has it anytime her nose runs.  She had her tonsils out last year and one of the reasons so this would happen less.  However, her throat is still covered in these bumps.  She only gets them when she has a runny nose/sinus issues.  It's the body protecting the throat.  But it's painful dd says.  Harder to swallow when it's really bad.  But totally normal.  My son gets them too when sick, just not as often as dd.  The allergist said it was normal and to get the runny nose under control makes them go away. 

• Like 3

cobblestoning.

My dd has it anytime her nose runs. She had her tonsils out last year and one of the reasons so this would happen less. However, her throat is still covered in these bumps. She only gets them when she has a runny nose/sinus issues. It's the body protecting the throat. But it's painful dd says. Harder to swallow when it's really bad. But totally normal. My son gets them too when sick, just not as often as dd. The allergist said it was normal and to get the runny nose under control makes them go away.

Interesting. Thanks. With chronic sinusitis, I have that but didn't know there was a name for it. I've just ignored it since I have bigger issues that are more concerning. Ha!

The blisters are big and fluid filled and only on the tongue. They don't look like cobbkestoning pics I Googled.

Yup, Hand Foot and Mouth. Very contagious, hence the other kids having it too. The blisters on the hands/feet are much smaller usually, and you don't always see them. 

Cold dairy products are soothing, like yogurt. We got the kind of yogurt that comes in tubes, like gogurt type stuff, and froze it and the kids lived off of that until it was better. You can also swish and swallow a mixture of benedryl and maalox to coat the sores. NO fruit juice, tomato products, etc as the acid will make it worse. 

hugs. 

• Like 2

I felt a little better last night and a marked difference this morning, so I'm cancelling my appointment. I've been to enough Dr. visits for one lifetime, and if I can help it, I'd rather not go yet again. Ha! Especially since it's most likely viral and I'm feeling better, I'm not interested in the whole exhausting ordeal of going to the doctor. We have no blisters anywhere either, so I have no idea what we're dealing with. We'll continue to stay home and rest until we're not contagious though.

Thank you all for your support and advice.  :grouphug:

• Like 2