Menu

Citing sources in the course descriptions?

swimmermom3

Overkill :-)

I do not cite anything MLA style. I merely list the title of the textbooks or other resources, and give a summary of books read in English.

So for example, I state

"Textbook: College Physics by Knight, Jones, and Field, with workbook".

I cannot imagine any admissions official having the slightest interest in edition, year, publisher etc.

• Like 5

In my course descriptions, I have listed the works the student has read for English simply by the name of the work and the author. However, for all other resources, I am citing them in the same way I would for an MLA paper.  Does this work?

Yikes, I freaked out when I first read this. I am glad others just used Title and Author (which is what I did).

• Like 1

Overkill :-)

I do not cite anything MLA style. I merely list the title of the textbooks or other resources, and give a summary of books read in English.

So for example, I state

"Textbook: College Physics by Knight, Jones, and Field, with workbook".

I cannot imagine any admissions official having the slightest interest in edition, year, publisher etc.

You think it's overkill, regentrude?  ;-)

I will run with that.

The ACT scores are in. He's two days away from finishing classwork that I would like to show as completed. I want more than just about anything to push the button on that Common App. in the next few days and be done - with this part.

• Like 3

Yikes, I freaked out when I first read this. I am glad others just used Title and Author (which is what I did).

I'm sorry!

I think my dislike/discomfort with partial citations is leftover from journalism school.

That and the fact that these days remembering where I parked the car and where to park commas in my writing are equally problematic. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 3

Did you start out thinking you would need to submit to NCAA?  They were big on ISBN and full info.  I realized that really no one else cared about that level of detail.

To be honest, I don't think that NCAA actually cares either.  I think they just like requiring a lot of details because they can.

• Like 2

The ACT scores are in. He's two days away from finishing classwork that I would like to show as completed. I want more than just about anything to push the button on that Common App. in the next few days and be done - with this part.

Happy with the scores?

I'm quite glad about DS' scores, he may be done testing :-) unless he really wants another shot

• Like 1

Did you start out thinking you would need to submit to NCAA?  They were big on ISBN and full info.  I realized that really no one else cared about that level of detail.

To be honest, I don't think that NCAA actually cares either.  I think they just like requiring a lot of details because they can.

I did. The entry for AP Euro that I wrote two years ago, took three-quarters of a page thanks to the fully cited  resources.

You all just saved some poor admissions person a whole lot of suffering.

• Like 2

Happy with the scores?

I'm quite glad about DS' scores, he may be done testing :-) unless he really wants another shot

I am glad to hear that you are pleased with your son's scores.

I think I about started crying when I saw Sailor Dude's scores last night. He was able to pull his composite up 5 points. That put him on a whole new competitive level and opens more doors. The only thing that didn't change was his math score and while it could be better, it is consistent with the transcript and the SAT Subject Math I score. His top school does not take a Super Score for the ACT, so he is going to sit tight.  I think you and I have talked before about the science section. He got a 9-point boost there and that was basically due to speed drills.

We are both so relieved to have that over and done with and be satisfied.

• Like 7