Menu

Wii? Wii U? Xbox Kinect? Something else? Staying active in the winter

Jackie

The weather is cooling off. Neither my 5 year old nor I like being out in the cold weather, so realistically we'll be mostly indoors for the next few months. DD is not a very active kid to start with; she prefers reading and art to running around. She does take gymnastics and dance, but that leaves several days a week where she's not likely to get moving much unless we have some set activity that I "require" her to do.

We have limited space indoors. I was wondering if a Wii would provide activities that would actually keep her busy? I haven't even looked at game consoles since before she was born. If a Wii would work, which games would be best? Wii or Wii U? Or an Xbox Kinect?

We have a WiiU and love it but we've never tried Kinect so I can't compare. My boys can work up a sweat playing. They run and jump if their character does. We also have dedicated exercise games that they enjoy.

If I remember later I'll come back to add specific games. It is a pain typing on my kindle.

I'm noticing that the Kinect is quite a bit more expensive than the Wii, which is a downside. Some reviews say that the Kinect is glitchy with little kids, not really registering them due to their height. Can anyone speak to that?

We are also interested in getting a gaming system.  So, I was wondering if some favorite active games for these consoles could be named too!  Thanks!

Back when I had a Wii, I had fun with Just Dance, and there is now a Kids version. I also liked Dance Dance Revolution and Wii Sports Resort.

Do you have an indoor swimming pool nearby?

Yes, though I don't enjoy swimming at all, so it won't motivate me to go out in the freezing cold to scrape the ice off my car.

• Like 1

We have a Wii U (group Christmas gift last year  :001_smile: ) My kids like to play the just dance games (we tell them which songs are ok if they are playing the adult versions instead of the kid version), Walk it out, wii fit, and wii sports. We actually had a wii but replaced it because most of the new games are Wii U only now and the Wii U will play both wii games and Wii U games. 

We didnt get a kinect because of the price point and also my DH didnt like that it knows who you are. It weirded him out!  :lol:

• Like 1