Menu

Sigh...It's obvious WHY we do AoPS

Dmmetler

DD10 has been quickly running through the Algebra 2 and Geometry topics on the SAT using Khan Academy and SAT practice books for the last few months. Now that the SAT is over, she started AoPS Geometry this morning, something she's been avidly looking forward to since Richard autographed her new book last summer.

She made it to the third question before panicking because she didn't know exactly what to do. And then, after freaking out over that one and finally puzzling it out, went on to a starred problem with no issues at all. Sigh....

I've gotten a lot of comments about "She's so good in math-it must be easy to homeschool at your house..."

Yeah, right!

• Like 9

I've gotten a lot of comments about "She's so good in math-it must be easy to homeschool at your house..."

Yeah, right!

Ha! Quite the opposite, in fact. Have you tried coming up with a curriculum for a 9 year old doing set theory, geometry, and algebra, but occasionally forgets how to do long division???

It's not like you can just choose not to let the child develop...

• Like 5

... something she's been avidly looking forward to since Richard autographed her new book last summer.

Okay, you can NOT just write that without a detailed explanation of how it came to be that The Man Himself autographed your geometry book.  

I mean come on.  Out with it.   :)

• Like 5

She made it to the third question before panicking because she didn't know exactly what to do. And then, after freaking out over that one and finally puzzling it out, went on to a starred problem with no issues at all. Sigh....

After the struggle there is elation.  :)   That is my favorite part.  :-)   It is such a great curriculum because my kids learn how to solve tough problems. 

I am very jealous about getting to see Richard R.  If he ever comes to Seattle, I will try to see him.

Going (Proof School)? 

"2-3 p.m. -- Panel discussion featuring Mira Bernstein, Po-Shen Loh, Richard Rusczyk, and Paul Zeitz"

OT: both kids manage to get a seat for the upcoming AMC8

OMG - I had no idea there was such a thing...and it's close!  And hasn't happened yet!  DD will just die to go and we'll have to remember to bring a book to get signed.  :willy_nilly:

OMG - I had no idea there was such a thing...and it's close! And hasn't happened yet! DD will just die to go and we'll have to remember to bring a book to get signed. :willy_nilly:

Same here - this is great! We're right across the water and definitely want to attend. Thanks for mentioning it.

Same here - this is great! We're right across the water and definitely want to attend. Thanks for mentioning it.

arggh.   I forgot we have a trip to DisneyLand planned for that weekend.  There was an actual discussion of NOT going to DL.  Big brother just stared in disbelief.  I'm sad for DD - I also think she'd have liked meeting a bunch of Jr-High girls excited about math...she doesn't currently know many (any) of those.

Looking at the ProofSchool website I'm drooling....but we're way too far from there to make that a daily trip + it's 35K / year....<sigh>