Menu

Need recommendation for pasta maker

Miss Peregrine

I cheat... Kitchen aid attachment. I use it weekly. I can crank out a batch of pasta in the time it takes to boil the big pot of water. Don't get discouraged if the first couple of batches take a while - you'll shave time FAST. :-)

Me, too. My hand crank hasn't seen any action in years. :)  I also use my pasta attachment to make dumplings - so much faster than by hand.

• Like 1

Me, too. My hand crank hasn't seen any action in years. :)  I also use my pasta attachment to make dumplings - so much faster than by hand.

I need to hear more about this- how stiff does your dough have to be?  Mine is pretty soft but I'm willing to try another recipe if it means I can use a pasta machine instead of doing it by hand. More info, please!

• Like 1

I need to hear more about this- how stiff does your dough have to be?  Mine is pretty soft but I'm willing to try another recipe if it means I can use a pasta machine instead of doing it by hand. More info, please!

My dough is neither stiff nor soft.  I don't actually have a recipe, just go by hunger level and feel, but I imagine it would be similar to this one. If I am not making many I usually just let DS break off bits of dough and put them through the machine individually, because it's fun for him and easier to handle than a big length of dough. ;)  Here is another recipe that probably has softer dough. (I haven't tried either recipe.)

• Like 1

My dough is neither stiff nor soft.  I don't actually have a recipe, just go by hunger level and feel, but I imagine it would be similar to this one. If I am not making many I usually just let DS break off bits of dough and put them through the machine individually, because it's fun for him and easier to handle than a big length of dough. ;)  Here is another recipe that probably has softer dough. (I haven't tried either recipe.)

Oh! We are talking about different kinds of dumplings. I make chicken and dumplings or chicken and noodles and they are rolled out and cut.  Thanks anyway!

• Like 1

Oh! We are talking about different kinds of dumplings. I make chicken and dumplings or chicken and noodles and they are rolled out and cut.  Thanks anyway!

LOL Now that would be quite a trick in the pasta maker!  You could make them super extra soft and shape them like quenelles if you want to avoid rolling them out.  :)

• Like 1

Don't buy the cheap one.  Buy the most expensive one you can afford and hopefully the Italian model.  I make egg noodles for the shop I work in all the time.  The cheap ones always lock up quickly and quit working.  Even with the expensive ones, it's important to do proper cleaning after noodle-making. 

Never ever immerse it in water.

I use a dry brush to whisk away the flour and any dough shavings.

I use a tooth pick to clean out all those little hidey-holes where dough likes to hide including along the sides.

Once in while they will get squeaky and a bit of oil in the turn-hole will help with that (we use veggie-oil spray).

I enjoy making pasta and find them very helpful but again proper cleaning is a must or they do break.

• Like 2

Don't buy the cheap one. Buy the most expensive one you can afford and hopefully the Italian model. I make egg noodles for the shop I work in all the time. The cheap ones always lock up quickly and quit working. Even with the expensive ones, it's important to do proper cleaning after noodle-making.

Never ever immerse it in water.

I use a dry brush to whisk away the flour and any dough shavings.

I use a tooth pick to clean out all those little hidey-holes where dough likes to hide including along the sides.

Once in while they will get squeaky and a bit of oil in the turn-hole will help with that (we use veggie-oil spray).

I enjoy making pasta and find them very helpful but again proper cleaning is a must or they do break.

Thanks! This is a Christmas present for dd13 so I will make sure she takes care of it. She is going to be so happy.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...