Menu

Dental x-rays???

teachermom2834

We have had to switch dentists a few times in the last couple years and each time we have had trouble getting records sent. So, we have had extra x-rays I believe. Getting ready to go to another new one and not sure I want everyone x-rayed again. But, I really know nothing about this. So, amount of radiation in a dental x-ray enough to worry about? One ds was scheduled for wisdom teeth removal so also had x-rays at that consult. We moved before it was done so will be also doing the oral surgeon again soon.

Thoughts?

I am not concerned about dental X-rays.

The radiation dose (5 µSv for a complete bitewing image) is small compared to the natural background radiation each of us is subject to all the time.

http://hps.org/hpspublications/articles/dentaldoses.html

To put these values in perspective, background radiation from naturally occurring radionuclides in our environment and from cosmic rays is approximately 3,100 µSv (NCRP 2006) every year. Furthermore, differences in background levels between different parts of the country are larger than the effective dose for a bitewing. For example, moving from a lower-background region such as Minneapolis, Minnesota, to a higher-background region, such as Denver, Colorado, for a year would result in an increase in effective dose for that year that is about the same as 30 bitewing exams, or approximately 150 µSv.

Dental x-rays are one of the lowest radiation dose studies performed. A routine exam which includes 4 bitewings is about 0.005 mSv, which is less than one day of natural background radiation. It is also about the same amount of radiation exposure from a short airplane flight (~1-2 hrs). The American Dental Association recommends that patients who are not having problems have dental x-rays performed every two years. Proper shielding is also common, which makes the potential risk even lower.

http://www.xrayrisk.com/faq.php

This said, I would still insist that the previous dental office give you copies of your records.

• Like 3

^ When in doubt, trust the physicist.  :)

I did limit DS's x-rays when he was small because he is likely to have issues in the future that will require a lot of extras (not just ordinary orthodontic care; DH has had to have surgeries), but I wouldn't worry about one extra set. If using insurance, though, make sure it's been long enough that they'll pay for another set.

• Like 1

Digital dental x-rays have something like 20% of the radiation of the analog ones we all got when we were kids. So even if your child is getting twice as many x-rays, they are still getting seriously less exposure than you or I did.

That said, I still require a reason beyond "it'd be nice to have a baseline" for getting x-rays and I would also call the other dentist to send over the x-rays that you already paid for.

Emily

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

I realize I should get our records. But, I have requested, they say they will send them but they never get there. With a houseful of kids, relocation, college applications, etc, etc some days I don't feel like I can wrestle one more administrative item.

But I will try. Just probably not very hard :(

We have had the same problem. The only way to have x-rays transferred seems to be picking them up and taking them yourself... So, I would try to swing by the dentist and pick them up if possible. The only time we have had success was with a dentist and endodontist who worked in tandem for work required with an implant and reconstruction.