Menu

Dog Breed Help

whitestavern

We are adopting two dogs, one is a 6 yo male Great Pyrenees mix. The other is a 5 yo female Australian Shepherd Vizsla mix. We have met them both and they are both in excellent health and well behaved dogs. We are adopting them from a family that is moving out of the country.

What can you tell me about these breeds, good and bad? Any info would be appreciated. We haven't had dogs in many years, and aren't familiar with these breeds at all.

TIA!

These are both dogs that are not the easiest to manage if you don't understand their needs.  Mixes can be difficult to predict behaviorally.  What does the current family say about them?  Are they inside or outside?  Is their current home similar to what they will experience in your home?

We have a 3 year old female Pyr.  These are livestock guardians, which come with a whole set of needs/behaviors.  Our home is not ideal for her, honestly, but she was a stray who came to our yard full of fleas, ticks, and unspayed so we took her in and cared for her.  Pyrs need a fenced yard.  Their instinct is to bolt and roam.  Pyrs live about 10 or so years, do not have major health problems, and tend to make good family pets as long as the family understands their breed-specific behaviors and needs. 

It is great of you to take these dogs and to seek out information about their breeds prior to this.  Aussies are herders so you have a livestock guardian and a herder.  

ETA:  Look up the "pyr paw" and the "pyr nose bump".  :)

• Like 2

These are both dogs that are not the easiest to manage if you don't understand their needs.  Mixes can be difficult to predict behaviorally.  What does the current family say about them?  Are they inside or outside?  Is their current home similar to what they will experience in your home?

We have a 3 year old female Pyr.  These are livestock guardians, which come with a whole set of needs/behaviors.  Our home is not ideal for her, honestly, but she was a stray who came to our yard full of fleas, ticks, and unspayed so we took her in and cared for her.  Pyrs need a fenced yard.  Their instinct is to bolt and roam.  Pyrs live about 10 or so years, do not have major health problems, and tend to make good family pets as long as the family understands their breed-specific behaviors and needs. 

It is great of you to take these dogs and to seek out information about their breeds prior to this.  Aussies are herders so you have a livestock guardian and a herder.  

ETA:  Look up the "pyr paw" and the "pyr nose bump".   :)

Thanks! Great information. They come from a family that let them come and go as they pleased; they are indoor primarily but use a dog door. We do not, but we are considering putting one in. We do have a fenced in area, as we have a pool, but they are used to the electric underground wire, so we are looking at that as well. The family has two boys, and the dogs are great with kids. They are also used to chickens, which we also have.

Australian Shepherds are herding breeds and can get bored easily, herd people and be destructive if not entertained enough. Viszlas have one of the highest exercise requirements of any breed-they were bred to hunt all day long. They can also tend to get bored easily. As mentioned above Pyrs are guardian breeds, so tend to be one family type dogs and standoffish with others.

I have a Vizsla. Weaver's characterization of Vizslas having one of the highest exercise requirements of any breed is spot-on. They really are made to go all day. Great dogs, but not happy couch potatoes. They are also very demanding in their emotional needs. They are extremely affectionate, and very needy. They do not like to be alone.

Vizslas also have high training needs. Not a breed that is well suited to "casual" dog owners. Very high maintenance (except in the grooming department).

No offense, but I cringe at the thought of crossing a specialized gundog with an Australian Shepard. What were people thinking?

Anyway, might be a lovely dog. But the V side may bring big time demands. I have no idea what will come out in the cross.

Good luck,

Bill

Probably lots of exercise needs.

We LOVE our australian shepherd mix (likely with border collie).  She is very loyal, rarely to never barks, and has never once messed in the house (we got her as a 3 year old rescue who had never been inside before.  That said, when she was younger she loved to run a lot.  We have a small hobby farm so she is never fenced in and only very rarely on a leash.  She runs around our farm, sits on a small rise and watches her "flock" (chickens or horses), goes along with us on horseback rides (was 3-5 miles at a time), etc.  She has been great with kids but since she was not raised with very young ones, I watch her super closely and give her a way to get away from them.

She is VERY much MY dog and wants to be very close to me (basically underfoot) most of the time.  She loves car rides as that often means we are going for a walk or horseback ride.

I have a Vizsla. Weaver's characterization of Vizslas having one of the highest exercise requirements of any breed is spot-on. They really are made to go all day. Great dogs, but not happy couch potatoes. They are also very demanding in their emotional needs. They are extremely affectionate, and very needy. They do not like to be alone.

Vizslas also have high training needs. Not a breed that is well suited to "casual" dog owners. Very high maintenance (except in the grooming department).

No offense, but I cringe at the thought of crossing a specialized gundog with an Australian Shepard. What were people thinking?

Anyway, might be a lovely dog. But the V side may bring big time demands. I have no idea what will come out in the cross.

Good luck,

Bill

I doubt the people were thinking anything.

It was probably more along the lines of being the romantic tale of two lonely dogs in the neighborhood... Their eyes met across a chain link fence and it was love at first sight (and sniff.) One of them dug a hole under the fence and the next thing anyone knew... PUPPIES! :D

• Like 6

We crate our Pyr at night in the living room, and she is very, very happy (and quiet) there.  She feels safe and secure.  I tried to move her crate at one point to a kid room, but she insisted that her crate belonged in the spot she was used to and circled around looking for it.  She is very smart, knows some commands and is slow to obey them, in typical Pyr fashion.  She does prefer to be outside patrolling the yard and saving us from squirrels and elderly neighbors.  She is very friendly and sweet to all, but I do think she would step in if she thought one of us was being menaced by a person or a dog.  

I have to say, you all kind of scared me with your posts. I don't know what the other breeds are in the mixes, but so far the dogs are super. The Viszla Shepherd mix is quite docile, not high energy at all. When she's outside she runs a lot, but once she's in, she's pretty mellow. The Great Pyr mix is about the same, though a little less active. He growled to both my kids the first day, though done while his tail was wagging, and he has brought his toys to them so that they can play with him. He is fine while they are playing. Since then he's been okay. We have friends that work at shelters and they said this is in the realm of normal behavior in this situation. It's something I will be carefully watching.

They are used to food being left out and they appear to be fine taking what they want when they want. They do not overeat. Thank goodness because their food is very expensive :)

• Like 1

Sounds like they are doing well.  You are a good person to take them in.  :)

Pyrs are not huge eaters.  They are fairly inactive so their calorie needs are low for dogs their size.  Most Pyrs are not food-motivated, though some are.  Mine is not.  

We need a picture of them.  :)

• Like 1