Menu

Broken little toe... any reason to get it checked out/xrayed?

It really hurts, and large area is black and blue... hard to walk, etc., but I've been told they don't do anything but tape two toes together for it to heal. That's fine, but I'm wondering if I should at least make sure that it isn't misaliged so it won't heal improperly. Unfortunately, though, the dr.s offices and urgent care centers in the immediate area were not open today. Don't know if I can find one open tomorrow or not.

What says the hive? Tape it to the other toe and be done with it, or try to get an xray just to make sure?

Thanks

It really hurts, and large area is black and blue... hard to walk, etc., but I've been told they don't do anything but tape two toes together for it to heal. That's fine, but I'm wondering if I should at least make sure that it isn't misaliged so it won't heal improperly. Unfortunately, though, the dr.s offices and urgent care centers in the immediate area were not open today. Don't know if I can find one open tomorrow or not.

What says the hive? Tape it to the other toe and be done with it, or try to get an xray just to make sure?

Thanks

I have no particular expertise in this area, but I broke my little toe and didn't go to the doc. It was *extremely* painful, and you do want to tape it just to make sure you don't accidentally bump it out of place again soon. If you can tell that it's clearly not where it ought to be, then I'd for sure go in and get it checked, otherwise, I wouldn't.

Sorry though, I know from personal experience how much it hurts!

I've broken the little toe on my left foot 3 times. (Can we say KLUTZ!?)

First time, went to the Dr (I was a teen), had it taped to the other toe.

Second time (in the Army) same deal.

Third time, was in an Army school I did *not* want to get sent home from and have to start all over again, so I taped the durn thing myself and ran on it, etc. Not the best, but no lasting ill effects.

I could feel that the bones in my foot were okay, that it was the toe itself, right at the joint. Every injury was the same- getting it caught on something and bent back and to the side. If you dropped something on your foot, there is more chance something else is broken.

I;m not a Dr, nor do I play one on the internet :D but I have broken my toe quite bit!

Thanks

All they'll do is x-ray it, say, "Yep, it's broken," buddy-tape it to the next toe, and send your insurance company a bill for their trouble.

I'd just tape it.

Okay, guys... thanks so much for the respones! I'll just tape it - I guess I was just a little alarmed at how far up the foot the bruising/swelling has reached (about a third of the way up the foot or more). The toe looks okay/aligned properly, so I'll just leave it alone for now. Might be worth a trip to get pain meds, though!! LOL

Thakns again!

Robin

Okay, guys... thanks so much for the respones! I'll just tape it - I guess I was just a little alarmed at how far up the foot the bruising/swelling has reached (about a third of the way up the foot or more). The toe looks okay/aligned properly, so I'll just leave it alone for now. Might be worth a trip to get pain meds, though!! LOL

Thakns again!

Robin

A friend of mine broke her pinky toe a week or two ago -- getting out of the bathtub, no less -- and she was able to tell us all how bad it was (in two separate pieces! Ack!) from the x-rays, but other than that? Nada.

I told her I was no doctor, but when she explained it was sticking out at a ninety degree angle from her foot, I kinda sorta maybe thought it was probably broken. :D

That poor lady's whole foot was black and blue! But -- get this -- she tested for her green belt the same week. Yowsa. That's one tough cookie!

I hope you're feeling better soon!

I have no particular expertise in this area, but I broke my litle toe and didn't go to the doc. It was *extremely* painful, and you do want to tape it just to make sure you don't accidentally bump it out of place again soon. If you can tell that it's clearly not where it ought to be, then I'd for sure go in and get it checked, otherwise, I wouldn't.

That's my impersonal experience as well.