Menu

Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Lancelyn Green...

wehave8

Agreeing with Rosie -- no book is a "must", and you get to decide what you want to do for your homeschool. :)

However… also like Rosie, we really enjoyed that book -- the descriptions of the travails of the souls traveling through the underworld were appealingly gruesome  :tongue_smilie:  to elementary-aged boys (we have 2 DSs). And the second half of the book is ancient Egyptian fairytales/folktales, which was really quite fun seeing similar elements to the European fairytales/folktales that we're all familiar with, but these were written thousands of years earlier. Somehow that makes the people of that long-ago civilization seem more real, alive, and personal. :)

We are Christians and did not find that the false gods "rocked the faith boat" in any way. Rather, it was like other years when we read about the myths of other cultures -- it really helps you better understand the mindset. 

There is another book on all the ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses that frequently is recommended, and that is the one we skipped, due to time constraints, and also it seemed more important to spend more time on the ancient Greek/Roman gods and goddesses, as those are the ones most frequently referenced in Western classical literature through the ages.

Perhaps just pick-and-choose a few of the folktale stories for fun and a sense of the culture?? A section of the journey through the underworld and the weighing of the heart against the feather of truth? Or other section that would be of special interest or importance to your family, or that would be helpful to compare with Scripture??

Just my 2 cents worth! :) Enjoy your ancient Egypt studies, whatever you decide to use! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

Anyone NOT read this for Ancient Egypt studies?

I'm not opposed to reading about false gods in  history, but I just don't know if I can get through it.  And with the names!

:(

Pam

Thanks for this post. I've been wondering about whether or not to spend the time on this because I want to leave enough time for the Greeks and Romans. 

Agreeing with Rosie -- no book is a "must", and you get to decide what you want to do for your homeschool. :)

However… also like Rosie, we really enjoyed that book -- the descriptions of the travails of the souls traveling through the underworld were appealingly gruesome  :tongue_smilie:  to elementary-aged boys (we have 2 DSs). And the second half of the book is ancient Egyptian fairytales/folktales, which was really quite fun seeing similar elements to the European fairytales/folktales that we're all familiar with, but these were written thousands of years earlier. Somehow that makes the people of that long-ago civilization seem more real, alive, and personal. :)

We are Christians and did not find that the false gods "rocked the faith boat" in any way. Rather, it was like other years when we read about the myths of other cultures -- it really helps you better understand the mindset. 

There is another book on all the ancient Egyptian gods and goddesses that frequently is recommended, and that is the one we skipped, due to time constraints, and also it seemed more important to spend more time on the ancient Greek/Roman gods and goddesses, as those are the ones most frequently referenced in Western classical literature through the ages.

Perhaps just pick-and-choose a few of the folktale stories for fun and a sense of the culture?? A section of the journey through the underworld and the weighing of the heart against the feather of truth? Or other section that would be of special interest or importance to your family, or that would be helpful to compare with Scripture??

Just my 2 cents worth! :) Enjoy your ancient Egypt studies, whatever you decide to use! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you for these suggestions. Perhaps just a sampling of the different sections would be good enough. 

Of course, now I'm wondering what to choose of all the selections of myths and folktales.

• Like 1