Menu

High Schoolers Serve as Pallbearers for Homeless Vets

umsami

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/detroit-high-school-pallbearers-veterans_5630ea7be4b0c66bae5a54a3?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000023

I think this is such a wonderful idea.  Good for them.

"A service team at the University of Detroit Jesuit High School is calling on students to serve as pallbearers at the funerals of unclaimed, homeless veterans. The pilot program had its first outreach on Oct. 20, with six juniors and seniors from the high school in attendance to honor the lives of three fallen Detroit military members."

• Like 6

Maybe I'm awful and out of line , but I can't think of a service project that does less for these homeless vets. You get all of the warm fuzzies of helping out without actually benefiting anyone in need??? Why aren't they getting military funerals if they're known to be veterans? I feel for them deeply. I'm a veteran. I've done military funeral details. These kids have their hearts in the right place, but it's like nobody stopped to wonder who this is actually serving. Is it for the benefit of the families?

Am I a horrible person here? Someone tell me what I'm missing.

Maybe I'm awful and out of line , but I can't think of a service project that does less for these homeless vets. You get all of the warm fuzzies of helping out without actually benefiting anyone in need??? Why aren't they getting military funerals if they're known to be veterans? I feel for them deeply. I'm a veteran. I've done military funeral details. These kids have their hearts in the right place, but it's like nobody stopped to wonder who this is actually serving. Is it for the benefit of the families?

Am I a horrible person here? Someone tell me what I'm missing.

Corporal Works of Mercy: Bury the dead

I think other veterans would be comforted by it, if they worry about their end of life. Some people worry that no one will care or remember them after they're gone.

• Like 6

Corporal Works of Mercy: Bury the dead

I think other veterans would be comforted by it, if they worry about their end of life. Some people worry that no one will care or remember them after they're gone.

I agree. It's about letting all veterans know that they won't be left behind.

• Like 1