Menu

If she loved Fault in Our Stars...

I am having a hard time making some book recommendations for DD, 11. I don't need historical or literary suggestions; I have that covered. I just need some excellent pleasure reading books.

She wanted to read Fault in Our Stars for a while. I pre-read it and couldn't finish it because I couldn't stop crying. I warned her and she even knew most of the big spoilers, but she finally read it, and loved it. So incredibly much.

She is normally incredibly sensitive, but she loves contemporary books, apparently moving up the age range. She does not like fantasy or sci fi. She does not like violence but I guess she can handle heart-wrenching depressing.

I have no problems with the relationship of these characters, and am comfortable with her reading it at her age. We are very open in our discussions here, and she is mature in her understanding.

What should she try next?

Other John Green seems an obvious choice. I'm especially partial to Paper Towns and Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

For better or worse, there is a budding genre of YA sick kids books. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is probably the other most popular one. I don't necessarily recommend diving too deep into that scene though.

She'd probably enjoy other contemporary YA books that have been hits...

* Eleanor and Park (romance)

* Dash and Lily's Book of Dares (more romance)

* I'll Give You the Sun (depression, romance, family drama, coming out themes)

* The Perks of Being a Wallflower (depression, LGBT themes, romance)

* If I Stay (romance, family tragedy... this is sort of in the sick kids genre)

* Jellicoe Road (family tragedy)

But also... she's only 11 so she probably hasn't totally outgrown a lot of the upper end middle grades books yet. So some good contemporary titles...

* A Mango-Shaped Space (about a girl discovering she has synesthesia)

* Out of My Mind (about a girl who can't speak)

* Counting By 7's (about a girl genius whose parents die)

* Wonder (about a boy with a facial disfigurement)

* Brown Girl Dreaming (the author's memoir - not contemporary, but feels so real because of the personal inspiration)

* Mockingbird (about an autistic girl whose brother is killed)

* Walk Two Moons (or really any of the various Sharon Creech books)

I can do more... am I on the right track?

• Like 4

Hunger Games, absolutely not. She is not interested in violence or alternative worlds.

Farrar--yes! She has read everything on the second list you mentioned except two and loved them all. That's why I am struggling! I feel like we have exhausted the upper middle grades!

Some non dying but moving books would be good!

As an autistic individual, I don't really love Mockingbird. I mean, it's better than The Curious Incident, and it's miles better than any autism-related book Ann M. Martin has ever written (all of which are truly awful and should be avoided), but I find it's not terribly good. This review pretty much sums up my feelings on it. At this point in my life, I pretty much feel that books about autism by non-autistics should be approached with extreme caution. There are some exceptions, but not as many as I would like... and most of *those* are written by parents or siblings of autistics.

With that said, there are a number of books by autistics that are easily accessible to your average 11 year old. I think at that age I read some of Temple Grandin's books, although I didn't put the pieces together with myself for another couple of years. (I used to maintain a list, but that was three computers ago.) If you want fiction, you might try Rogue. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but it's lauded by some reviewers I trust.

Re: Walk Two Moons, Debbie Reese of American Indians in Children's Literature has a few strong words to say on that book. She usually does have strong feelings about these books, but all the same her opinions are usually well-thought out and supported. From a literary point of view, I simply preferred Absolutely Normal Chaos and Bloomability by the same author.

Now I sound all critical and all :(

I do agree firmly with Farrar's other suggestions, and the general point that there are middle grade books that she hasn't "grown out of" yet.

How about:

Summer of the Gypsy Moths

Kinda Like Brothers

The Great Wall of Lucy Wu (a bit lighter than many of these)

Becoming Naomi Leon

Return to Sender

The Breadwinner

Gaby, Lost and Found

The Blossoming Universe of Violet Diamond

Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything In It

The Misfits

I'm looking on Google now for a few other ideas. Haven't read all of 'em.

How about:

The Whole Story of Half a Girl

Touch Blue

Hope is a Ferris Wheel

Geography Club (not MG, but not super people dying either)

Half a Chance

Hoot

The Secret Hum of a Daisy

A Time to Dance

Steering Toward Normal

When Life Gives You OJ

The Truth About Twinkie Pie

Moonpenny Island

Backwater by Joan Bauer (actually, almost anything by her.  Many of her books are no longer quite "contemporary", but they're also not yet "historical")

Mosquitoland (also not MG exactly)

Rain is Not My Indian Name (ditto)

Don't Touch (and again!)

Five Flavors of Dumb (welp, I tried to find more MG novels)

Last time, promise. One more googling brought me to:

Ruby on the Outside

Yaqui Delgado

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Gabi, a Girl in Pieces

Some Assembly Required

Under the Mesquite

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (set in 1987)

Liar

Reality Boy

Tangerine

Speak (very YA, deals with the fallout from the protagonist's rape prior to the first chapter)

It's Kind of a Funny Story (I am 100% not surprised that the author of this book attended the same high school I did)

Sold

Far From You

Don't Fail Me Now

Everything, Everything

The One Thing

Code of Honor

Adrift by Paul Griffin

Habibi

Bombay Blues

Finding Audrey

Every Last Word

The Orange Houses

Joyride by Anna Banks

The Girl Who Fell to Earth

Where the Streets Had a Name

Samir and Yonatan

And, of course, some graphic novels such as

Smile

Drama

Sunny Side Up

Roller Girl

Awkward

American-Born Chinese

In Real Life

This list skews much more heavily YA and older YA than my previous listies did, so, as always, the onus is on you to pre-read if you think you may have concerns.

Great lists from Farar and Tanaqui, as usual! I just wanted to say that she sounds similar to my oldest. If she hasn't read them already, I'd say all the Rebecca Stead books and all the Wendy Mass books are a definite must, as well as other John Green books - Paper Towns was a huge hit.

This might not work for your dd, but a surprise hit here was The Outsiders, which is definitely gritty.  Other books dd really enjoyed after The Outsiders were The Wednesday Wars and Okay for Now by Gary Schmidt. 

• Like 1