Menu

An unexpected sideeffect of babysitting...

athomeontheprairie

In August, I started babysitting two kids four days a week. I have them for 45 hours a week. The little girl goes to one of the only school districts in the area that still offers half day K. She leaves my house around 11:30 and comes home at 4:30.

My kids have suddenly realized how great they have it. Not to be on the bus for 2+ hours a day (and it will be longer next year when she is full day-and is on the morning bus). They've seen how much free time they really have. It didn't matter that I told them what their day would look like if they were in PS, but once they saw it! Wow! They are both so thankful we homeschool. On those days when they really buckle down, focus and apply themselves they can be done by noon. That isn't usually the case, as we play a lot in the morning but it can happen.

Maybe if we lived in town and saw other kids on a daily basis, or saw the bus it would have the same effect. Being rural we don't have that, and they really didn't understand. There are other side effects from watching her go to school-but those are best left for another thread. I

Just my musing, carry on. I just wanted a place to write this where others might understand.

• Like 6

DD14 really started appreciating her schedule this year.  All her public high school friends spend all day in school from 7:30am to 2pm and then have hours of homework every evening.    She gets up around 9am, goes to her 10:30am band class and is still done with all of her school work before 4pm each day.  She has time for games and hobbies and sports and music.

• Like 3

Mine would never figure it out by the bus going by. I finally saw the morning bus this week. It was just a little before 7...The afternoon bus to bring them home comes by around 4:30. Most of my kids' friends lived in a different neighborhood. Only one of them ever rode the bus. She was picked up at 6:15 and got home around 5:30. I never understood why first on weren't first off, but they just run the route backwards to take them home.

Mine would never figure it out by the bus going by. I finally saw the morning bus this week. It was just a little before 7...The afternoon bus to bring them home comes by around 4:30. Most of my kids' friends lived in a different neighborhood. Only one of them ever rode the bus. She was picked up at 6:15 and got home around 5:30. I never understood why first on weren't first off, but they just run the route backwards to take them home.

That's horrible. My parents lived in a rural area and my sister had a 45 minute ride to school in the morning but she was one of the first dropped off in the afternoon because they ran the route in the same direction.