Menu

More Thyroid Troubles

hollyhock

Got blood results back today. TSH is 1.88, which is the closest to optimal it's ever been, T3 and T4 are normal and the verdict is still apparently out about whether I have thyroid antibodies or not. I'm on 50 mcg Synthroid but the symptoms just don't go away. Current symptoms: recurring sore throat, low energy regardless of sleep, shoulder/neck muscle pain, tinnitus in one ear, upset stomach/nausea, random dizziness, kidney stones (don't know if they are all related or not).

So should I be looking at a dose increase? I was on 75 last fall and my TSH went down to 0.16 before an endocrinologist told me to stop Synthroid completely. I've been working my way back up ever since. For the record, the prescribing doctor says it's all "normal" and I should just keep on doing what I'm doing.

Or does it sound like maybe I don't have a thyroid problem and should look into other options? Without Synthroid my TSH goes up over 4, which isn't really that high.

Apologies if this isn't very coherent; feel free to ask questions if needed. I appreciate any help. Often I feel like I'm trying to figure this stuff out all on my own.

:bigear:  some providers will go with anything up to 4 is within normal range.  I'm currently on 75mcg and my TSH is 3.  she didn't feel a need to raise it again.

eta: I'm going to try pure encapsulations (I trust the brand - one rec'd by my son's ND) thyroid support.  we'll see.

Got blood results back today. TSH is 1.88, which is the closest to optimal it's ever been, T3 and T4 are normal and the verdict is still apparently out about whether I have thyroid antibodies or not. I'm on 50 mcg Synthroid but the symptoms just don't go away. Current symptoms: recurring sore throat, low energy regardless of sleep, shoulder/neck muscle pain, tinnitus in one ear, upset stomach/nausea, random dizziness, kidney stones (don't know if they are all related or not).

So should I be looking at a dose increase? I was on 75 last fall and my TSH went down to 0.16 before an endocrinologist told me to stop Synthroid completely. I've been working my way back up ever since. For the record, the prescribing doctor says it's all "normal" and I should just keep on doing what I'm doing.

Or does it sound like maybe I don't have a thyroid problem and should look into other options? Without Synthroid my TSH goes up over 4, which isn't really that high.

Apologies if this isn't very coherent; feel free to ask questions if needed. I appreciate any help. Often I feel like I'm trying to figure this stuff out all on my own.

You need to have Free T3 and Free T4 tested, not just T3 and T4. Also, never let your doctor tell you that your levels are "normal." You must see the results with your own eyeballs.

The closer to 0 your TSH is, the better. Yes, over 4 is *high.*

*Most* people feel much better if they take NDT (natural desiccated thyroid) such as Armour or Naturethroid. *Most* people feel better when their Free T3 and Free T4 levels are *optimal,* not just "normal."

If your doctor won't prescribe NDT, then at the least yes, he should increase your...I can't even say it. Ask for NDT. 

Here are some charts that might be helpful:

optimal%20thyroid%20levels.jpgLab%20work.jpg

how%20to%20start%20NDT.jpg

• Like 3

You need to have Free T3 and Free T4 tested, not just T3 and T4. Also, never let your doctor tell you that your levels are "normal." You must see the results with your own eyeballs.

*Most* people feel much better if they take NDT (natural desiccated thyroid) such as Armour or Naturethroid. *Most* people feel better when their Free T3 and Free T4 levels are *optimal,* not just "normal."

If your doctor won't prescribe NDT, then at the least yes, he should increase your...I can't even say it. Ask for NDT. 

I've a question for you - I'm not sure I'm understanding your chart.  can inflamation be tied to thyroid levels?  mine have always been high - but she's never mentioned anything to do with thyroid - even though my tsh runs on the higher side.

I've a question for you - I'm not sure I'm understanding your chart. can inflamation be tied to thyroid levels? mine have always been high - but she's never mentioned anything to do with thyroid - even though my tsh runs on the higher side.

Hypothyroidism due to Hashimotos is, by definition, an autoimmune process. Inflammation markers can go up during autoimmune processes and infection processes. Those tests are general markers the body produces during illness or autoimmune diseases.

Op - I assume you had other basic labs done? Like vit d, b12, cbc, kidney function, etc?

1.88 is still a bit highish.  4 is not good at all.  The new standard is under 3, not 5. 

Under 1 is best for me.  How did you feel at 0.16?  That's how the best thyroid doctors determine your dosage, not just by TSH.   How is it inconclusive whether you have antibodies or not? 

Your symptoms don't necessarily sound like thyroid to me, especially the sore throat. 

Synthroid does not work for a lot of people. 

Many doctors do not understand Armour.  It's an uphill battle.  Best results from a naturopath or an old doctor who understands that Armour has been used for about 110 years, with almost no side effects (unless allergic to pork). 

:bigear:  some providers will go with anything up to 4 is within normal range.  I'm currently on 75mcg and my TSH is 3.  she didn't feel a need to raise it again.

eta: I'm going to try pure encapsulations (I trust the brand - one rec'd by my son's ND) thyroid support.  we'll see.

Try a functional medicine doctor.  3 is too darn high (for most people). 

If you still have symptoms, you are not being adequately treated.  TSH alone does not tell the story. 

• Like 1

1.88 is still a bit highish.  4 is not good at all.  The new standard is under 3, not 5. 

Under 1 is best for me.  How did you feel at 0.16?  That's how the best thyroid doctors determine your dosage, not just by TSH.   How is it inconclusive whether you have antibodies or not? 

Your symptoms don't necessarily sound like thyroid to me, especially the sore throat. 

Synthroid does not work for a lot of people. 

I felt fine at 0.16. I thought I would feel great and energetic, but I just felt fine. It was more like a lack of symptoms rather than feeling great. I thought it would be better. But I was only on that dose for 6 weeks and I don't know if that's long enough to make a good judgment.

I don't think the antibody test is inconclusive. I think that result just hasn't come back yet, but that's just what I gather from looking at the paper. They didn't say anything about it to me. I think I should call them about that.

What do you mean by Synthroid not working for a lot of people? Do you mean it doesn't relieve symptoms or it doesn't change their numbers? Because my numbers are changing but the symptoms aren't. So then I'm not sure what determines that it's not working.

Thank you for your thoughts!

I felt fine at 0.16. I thought I would feel great and energetic, but I just felt fine. It was more like a lack of symptoms rather than feeling great. I thought it would be better. But I was only on that dose for 6 weeks and I don't know if that's long enough to make a good judgment.

I don't think the antibody test is inconclusive. I think that result just hasn't come back yet, but that's just what I gather from looking at the paper. They didn't say anything about it to me. I think I should call them about that.

What do you mean by Synthroid not working for a lot of people? Do you mean it doesn't relieve symptoms or it doesn't change their numbers? Because my numbers are changing but the symptoms aren't. So then I'm not sure what determines that it's not working.

Thank you for your thoughts!

You need copies of each and every lab test for your records.  Never let them just tell you things are fine or not fine.  You need to see it.  Require a copy of the actual lab results.  These are YOUR results. 

Synthroid does not work for those people who do not turn T4 into T3, so they are not properly treated even if the TSH says that all is well.  Those people do better on natural thyroids, which have T1, T2, T3, T4 ,and calcitonin. 

Hypothyroidism due to Hashimotos is, by definition, an autoimmune process. Inflammation markers can go up during autoimmune processes and infection processes. Those tests are general markers the body produces during illness or autoimmune diseases.

Op - I assume you had other basic labs done? Like vit d, b12, cbc, kidney function, etc?

we were focused on liver #s. (back to being elevated)

inflammation is high

my d was 47.

don't remember anything else.

If that's the case, does treating the sleep apnoea make any difference to the thyroid function? Or only vice versa?

Without looking anything up, I would imagine that treating the sleep apnea would be essential. Sleeping well would have to assist the thyroid treatments. 

I forget how hypothyroid causes sleep apnea, but in my case it wouldn't matter. My tongue drops back and blocks my airway. I know there are a few other causes of OSA. 

• Like 1