Menu

See a dog, name a dog ...

Puppy.jpg

We picked up this little bit of pup at a rescue shelter this a.m. What do you think? She's sweet! She's about 12 weeks old. The Petfinder.com site listed her as a "German shepherd/chihuahua mix" (which made us all go, "Hunh?" ). She *is* smaller than an average GS, but all the same, we're not seeing much chihuahua. She's not overly furry ~ which I like! So far not a lot of barking, just playfulness and interest in things.

We need help with a name! Some of the names on my 12yodd's list (she'll be the main caretaker) are following, but we'd also love suggestions!

Prairie

Selah (pr. SEE-luh)

Abby

Aspen

Any thoughts?

This is so funny...my sis has one exactly like this and we're thinking mastiff, not chihuahua! LOL His name is Apollo.

I do NOT like real people names for pets. I saw a very sad little girl one day when another girl was talking about her bad-behaved dog. The dog had the same name as the other girl. I've never heard of Selah for a person, though.

How about Brutus? :)

Aggie

Oh, that face is to love! After looking up the meaning of Selah, I vote for Selah. She looks like Shepherd/something mix. Her face is thick and boxy, but her paws do not look white so I rule out boxer. What about Bull Mastiff/Shepherd? Does she have a muscular chest? Her coat is definitely not Shepherd but mastiff would fit. Boy, she is going to be a big, lovable baby! I would be jealous if I did not have a 95lb German Shepherd, Caesar, laying on top of my feet!

Love her and have fun with her.

ReneeR

And, sorry to say, nobody won. :001_huh:

But of course the names on the "approved list" changed right after I posted, too, lol (and the winning name wasn't added until this a.m.). DD didn't like the "hard" sound of Greta; Heidi and Gretchen had both been on the list at one point but didn't make the final cut. DD doesn't like food names (so Streudel, Schnitzel and Cider -- some of these were suggestions from points elsewhere -- weren't added to the list). DD liked the "feel" of Prairie (pioneerish, countryish) but didn't like the actual word for a name. Selah was both the board and the family favorite up until the end. BUT ... after I looked through a book called Pets In The White House last night, I added one to her list and this was the winner!

Her name is Fala (pr. "FALL-uh" ).

FDR had a Scottish Terrier named Fala. DD liked it right away, although didn't commit to it immediately. But she did kind of start calling her that over the next few hours to see how it felt, and it seems like a great fit. THANKS to everyone for your thoughts and help!

HannePuppy.jpg