Menu

Robin Hood Help Needed!

NewIma

Hello!

We tried to start reading aloud The Adventures of Robin Hood by Green and it appears to be a no go. The death of the miller in the first chapter was too upsetting for dd8. Are there any versions of Robin Hood for the younger crowd that you love? Or should we just wait until she is older and try Green again?

Thanks so much!

We are reading the Howard Pyle version.  It also has a somewhat dark beginning, because Robin kills both a person and a deer in the very first chapter (hence the reason he became an outlaw) but the subsequent chapters are pretty light-hearted.  My 8 year old was really bothered by that chapter, and so I put the book aside for him for now, but my 10 year old has continued.  So maybe wait a bit?

The language is very old-fashioned with a lot usage of words like 'thee' and 'thou', 'quoth' and 'art', but my 10 year old is slowly getting used to it.

I'd second thr Classic Start. I'm not usually a fan of abridgments, honestly. I prefer to wait until the child is ready for the original.

But when my kids were SUPER into Robin Hood last year, there was no way I was getting into the Pyle version yet and it seemed to be the most honest to the original.

The Classic Starts Robin Hood glosses over or skips much of the heavier material and focuses more on Robin's pranks. How Robin became an outlaw is told very briefly. Maid Marion isn't even included.

:iagree:   I'm reading this with my 2nd grader right now.  Yeah, nothing scary in there!  This has been one of her favorite books.