Menu

What to do after Saxon Algebra 2?

My son is finishing up Saxon Algebra 2, but would like to switch to a different textbook after this one.  He liked Saxon Algebra 1, but thought that he does not understand the "why" behind what he is doing in Saxon Algebra 2.  Has anybody ever switched after Saxon Algebra 2 to a different publisher/approach?  We used Singapore Math for the first years (and also some Miquon Math and RightStart Math).  We tried NEM, but did not like it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

You may want to find a Geometry text to ensure that your ds has mastered all the relevant concepts in a typical Geometry course.  Saxon Algebra 2 covers about the 1st half of Geometry, with the 2nd half being covered in Advanced Mathematics, from what I understand.

I see, would Jacob's Geometry be too easy?  Chakerian for Geometry?  Would we also have to do a Precalculus or Calculus book then?

I see, would Jacob's Geometry be too easy?  Chakerian for Geometry?  Would we also have to do a Precalculus or Calculus book then?

I'm sorry, I just saw this.  I'm not sure what Geometry text to recommend as we haven't used any of them. We've done exclusively Singapore Math and now are starting Saxon Alg 2 and Advanced Math for the first time this year.

I've heard good things about Jacobs, but you may want to have a look at the pinned math recommendations for Geometry at the top of the High School Board to see which might sound like a good fit.

I would think Pre-Calculus would come next, but you might want to review Algebra II topics to make sure you have those all covered first.  Perhaps there is a PreCalc program that incorporates some review at the beginning, or you might want to do a month or two of ALEKS in Algebra II in the summer just to review before diving into pre-Calc in the fall.  This is what I would do, in any event.  Someone with more experience than I might suggest something different.

Oldest dd used Lial's pre-calculus after working through more geometry.  IF I recall correctly (it has been a couple years now), at the end of Saxon Algebra 2, she was more than 1/2 way through a traditional geometry program.  Maybe even 2/3 through.  But, not finished.  She still had areas that were missing.  We took a summer and buttoned up geometry then moved to Lials.

I'm sorry, I just saw this.  I'm not sure what Geometry text to recommend as we haven't used any of them. We've done exclusively Singapore Math and now are starting Saxon Alg 2 and Advanced Math for the first time this year.

I've heard good things about Jacobs, but you may want to have a look at the pinned math recommendations for Geometry at the top of the High School Board to see which might sound like a good fit.

I would think Pre-Calculus would come next, but you might want to review Algebra II topics to make sure you have those all covered first.  Perhaps there is a PreCalc program that incorporates some review at the beginning, or you might want to do a month or two of ALEKS in Algebra II in the summer just to review before diving into pre-Calc in the fall.  This is what I would do, in any event.  Someone with more experience than I might suggest something different.

You are skipping Algebra 1 then?  Have you done a Saxon placement test?

Thanks for the other suggestions.  I will look into them.  

Oldest dd used Lial's pre-calculus after working through more geometry.  IF I recall correctly (it has been a couple years now), at the end of Saxon Algebra 2, she was more than 1/2 way through a traditional geometry program.  Maybe even 2/3 through.  But, not finished.  She still had areas that were missing.  We took a summer and buttoned up geometry then moved to Lials.

Do you remember what you used to complete the missing geometry?  Is this the Precalculus book you used?

You are skipping Algebra 1 then? Have you done a Saxon placement test?

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will look into them.

No, we did not skip Algebra 1. Dd14 completed Singapore 6 then DM 7-8 and much of 3 before placing into Saxon Advanced Math.  Dd12 completed Singapore through DM 8 before placing into Saxon Algebra 2.

Do you remember what you used to complete the missing geometry?  Is this the Precalculus book you used?

I used the 4th edition with the solutions manual and lectures on cdroms.  Youngest is using them now. 

For geometry, a friend gave me a compete set of BJU Geometry so I used that.  I can't say it was the easiest thing to teach, but it did the job.  We also used Khan academy videos and a few resources from the library.  Dd really liked the way Geometry for the Clueless explained some of the trickier geometry concepts.  Saxon Algebra is interesting in that it wraps geometry and some trig into the algebra.  One family I know used Life of Fred as a resource but I'm not sure if she used Geometry or Trigonometry. Saxon also makes a Geometry text but, I've not used it so I can't comment on it.

We avoided the geometry problem with youngest dd by using TT algebra 1, geometry and algebra 2 prior to jumping over to Lial's Pre-Calculus. 

HTH