Menu

Help with aops algebra

Roadrunner

He has had little problem getting through the first 7 chapters until we hit challenging problems on rates. He did all of the chapter seven, plus summary problems, but can't handle the challenging section. What do I do? Skip them and come back when he is oldest, work the problems on a whiteboard with him..... Is this what's going to be happening going forward or is chapter seven special?

He is 10, if that helps.

I have found my son gets a total mental glitch once he decides the problems are hard - too hard.  It does not make them too hard, but in his head he is just blocked and it all falls apart.  So we skip and then cycle back.  I keep note of the ones that we do not do, and we do cycle back.  Often times we will cycle back when a future chapter causes some hic-ups.  This boosts confidence and helps both with keeping pace and making sure we never get back to the sticky problems.

• Like 3

FWIW, we've had a similar experience w/ AoPS Alg.  Ch 1-6 were  no problem - a section / day, high percentages correct, etc.  Ch 7's word problems were not getting through and Ch8 is also proving difficult.  Some chapters are just harder.  Suggest you slow down, but also don't spend forever there - at some point you have to move on and expect to cycle back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...