Menu

What would you call this Science course?

I have a Science course that I'm working on putting together but I can't think of a good title...... I tried searching some College course offerings but nothing worked.  It could be a title like this "________________________________ and ______________________________________"  but even with that I'm drawing a blank (maybe something and ecology?) I want to make sure that it is obvious (to future College admissions) that it is a Science class. 

Here's a short description:

I'd start off with the beginnings of the Universe through early Earth. We'd then go on to the beginnings of Life, Evolution, and transformation of Earth (physical and environment) We'd continue with Evolution through early man and all living creatures/plants.  I'd want to talk about Biodiversity and Ecosystems, basically Ecosystems/Ecology.  I'd end the year long course with Man's impact on the environment and the future of our planet.

This would be from a 100% secular and also liberal viewpoint if that helps with titling?

Even though we won't be studying any Earth Systems? I won't be doing Meteorology except how it pertains to the earliest time in Earth's history.  No oceanography except for how the seas were created and the prehistoric creatures that lived there.  We'll study the Grand Canyon bu not streams or lakes.  

Also at least 2/3 of the course will be given to Evolution and living creatures and their habitat.

Yes. I guess you could narrow it down and call it Earth Science: Pre-Earth to Life Beginnings or something. But ultimately it is earth science, in my opinion. There's astronomy, but I'm assuming that is a prelude to "how the earth was formed".

• Like 1

I just scrolled through my state's high school course standards.   I looked at ecology, environmental science, geology, and earth science.

Your class sounds most like  our state's course called Ecology. 

based on that? I'd probably call it "Ecology"  since you plan for the majority of course to be about living creatures and habits and then end with topics in sustainability.

and since it's used in state education, then colleges in our area would be familiar with the course name as a science course. 

• Like 2

You could title it as two half-credits. I think i might call it something like "The history of the Universe.- a) the shape of the universe b) life in the universe."

I'd break it into two half credits as well, but I'd call the life part Life on Earth.

• Like 2

I appreciate all the thought that has gone into this.  I wanted to keep it , if at all possible, as 1 course (less confusion for future University admin).  So the Geobiology is a great idea, thanks, kiana.  While looking at the MIT site I saw one of the books was partly titled "Evolution of Life and the Environment". 

Either one of these sound perfect.  

• Like 1

I like geobiology, or evolution and ecology.  So you're gonna sell me this when you're done, aren't you?  Because it sounds great!

Haha, I'll send you my plan when I get it done if you want, for free, not sure it will be worth much more than that.  I always have good ideas..... it's my follow through that's the problem.

• Like 1