Menu

another phonic question????

mumtoo3

hopefully this will be my last question :)

i have tried lots of different ways to teach my dd5.5 to read, but she does not like any of them, she gets bored, crys says its too hard etc etc, she knows all her letter sounds can blend 3 letter words but does not want to read!!!!!! does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap phonic reading cd rom?

thanks

Have you tried www.starfall.com ? We use OPGTR and ds doesn't like it but we do it every weekday even if it is only half a lesson. It is hard work. I also taught him the sight words so at least he can read a basic book himself as sounding out all the time can get very frustrating and makes it difficult to understand the meaning. I do a lesson of OPGTR and then he reads books which have a lot of sight words and some phonics.

Stephanie

hopefully this will be my last question :)

i have tried lots of different ways to teach my dd5.5 to read, but she does not like any of them, she gets bored, crys says its too hard etc etc, she knows all her letter sounds can blend 3 letter words but does not want to read!!!!!! does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap phonic reading cd rom?

thanks

You've already tried "lots" of different ways? Oh, dear. Your dd is very young for you to have already tried and given up on "lots" of different ways.

My first recommendation, without knowing what you have tried, is that you just put things away for a season. Your dd is still little; maybe her mind is in overload with all the different methods you've tried so far.

My daughter tried this with me as well. I told her that her attitude wasn't acceptable and that she had to suck it up and get the lesson overwith.

I made sure to set the timer for 15 minutes, to minimize her torture, yet not let her get away with trying to manipulate the situation, which I believe is what most children are doing when they act the way you are describing.

I'd just keep plugging away and try to show a sense of humor. I have even told my boys that it is my goal for they day to make them cry when they are doing math...I do this in jest...and with a smile.

Tell her you understand her boredome, and that it is a pain in the neck. But the sooner it gets done, the lesser she'll have to suffer through it. Perhaps you could share some chocolate chips or something after the lesson is done?

Blessings,

Camy

I'm with Camy on this one. None of my children has enjoyed phonics instruction, but I have 3 strong readers and one on the way. Set the timer, keep the lessons short and upbeat, and have something fun to look forward to at the end. Eventually phonics instruction will be a thing of the past...you can remind her of that fact. The harder you work now, the sooner you'll be done with phonics forever. :-)

DD didn't like sounding out either. Since I knew she knew how, I just didn't make her. We proceeded through the lessons anyway, with me demonstrating sounding out. Then we took a long break, and her reading level kept going up without any work from either of us. She loved these, and still does. I would have her sound out the words in red, and then we could read the poem together.

My DD just recently began blending sounds, but balked at reading at first. I made a sticker chart for her, so she gets a sticker after each lesson and at the end she'll get a little prize. I also have told her she needs to smile and have a good attitude (with a smile and good attitude myself!), no sliding down in her seat, flopping her head on her hand, etc. And then of course I keep the lesson short and age-appropriate:) She's gotten a much better attitude just in the short time since we've started actual lessons. Last night she read a Bob book to daddy just for fun!