Menu

Best curriculum for hands on learners?

Angela in TN

It has finally dawned on me that my 3rd grader is a hands on learner. We were at the library a week or so ago and ran into a woman who I know that homeschools. She told us about a once a week co-op she has started and it's montesorri (sp?) based and she emphasized the "hands on" aspect. Well my son keeps asking me if I got any information on the hands on class. Looking back now I can see that he gets things more through doing. I know that you can make any curriculum more hands on by adding activities to them but are there any curriculums that work especially well with the hands on crowd? Thanks!

Happy Phonics

Sing, Spell, Read & Write

Math-U-See

Moving With Math

Progress in Mathematics

Discovery Geometry

Create-A-Story Game

Winston Grammar

The Story of the World with AG

Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide

AIMS Education Foundation (science)

Backyard Scientist Series

Janice Van Cleave's science books

Living Learning Books

Stratton House Home Science Adventures

TOPS Science

History Links

Tapestry of Grace

Learnables

Rosetta Stone

Mark Kistler's Draw Squad

Feed My Sheep

Winston Grammar

I have lately begun to use Winston Grammer for warm ups and then we follow up with R&S. It's the one thing I do in school that is fun. (I am not much fun.)

I laminated the cards. Each morning I give both dd a copy of the page and they mark what each word is. They place their laminated cards in front of them when they finish and I read the sentences out loud. They then trust the correct card in the air. The faster we go the more fun it is. Then we follow up with R&S, mostly orally. I don't care if they are incorrect but they figure it out when they miss and they don't like to miss. Then it is promtly trashed. Since I started this, which was quite accidental, grammer has become fun for them, especially my kinesthetic (SP?:() learner.

I only have a few to add to Jessica's list...

All About Spelling...maybe a little too "young" for your 3rd grader unless he needs help in this area.

Would you go on more about All About Spelling? My hands on learner also hates lists and has troubles getting her letters in the right order. We use SW. It's works for one dd but not the other.

We started AAS this year after not having success with SWO. My ds7 (and ds4 for that matter) is a hands on, auditory, and somewhat visual learner. AAS incorporates all of those styles. It uses "tiles" to teach. For instance...he has to lay out the tiles in ABC order before every lesson (which he complains about doing, but it is helping him). Then he has to "pull" down the correct tiles, in order, to spell the word. There is more to it than that, but that is as far as we have gotten. Oh, and the tiles are color coded to make out the vowels and consonants and other phonetic sounds easier. It is very easy to teach. Hardly any prep time...well after you spend hours cutting all of the tiles out! The "rules" of spelling are laid out nicely as well. Anyhow, here is the website...All About Spelling

Hope this helps!

and I do apologize if they are repeats!

Social Studies/Unit Studies

Christian Cottage Units

History Units from Homeschool in the Woods

Lapbooks

Teacher Created Resources Units

Science

ScienceWorks

BJU Science & kit - my personal all-around favorite for hands-on Christian learners!

Christian Cottage Units are like KONOS, but all laid out day by day. You can view more at their website!

Hope you find something that you REALLY like!

Some montessori sites that I have found helpful.

http://www.montessorimaterials.org/

http://www.montessoriforeveryone.com/

http://www.alisonsmontessori.com/New_Arrivals_s/33.htm

http://ebeth.typepad.com/serendipity/

The Serendipity blog has a lot of neat ideas for hands on using Montessori and Waldorf ideas. Montessori materials is all free downloads and has a lot of neat stuff that you can use to make lapbooks. Alison's sells Montessori materials which tend to be expensive but if you are creative you can make your own versions.

Hope this helps. :)