Menu

Swedish?

Jamee

I took introductory Norwegian via distance learning in grad school. I absolutely loved the textbook, Ny i Norge, by Gerd Manne. It has a communicative approach. The entire text is in Norwegian, but the dialogues slowly buildup in complexity so that you can follow along. The CD includes *all* of the dialogues, which is so helpful for pronunciation.

Anyway, there is a Swedish version, Vägen til Sverige, by the same author. I haven't seen it, but given how much I adore the Norwegian version, and given how well the communicative approach worked for independent learning, I have to suggest it.

https://www.gleerups.se/40640581-product

• Like 1

Additional thoughts: This bookstore in London is the ultimate foreign language resource in terms of seeing what is out there.

http://www.europeanbookshop.com/languagebooks/subject/SWE/m1

At least two of the courses listed are used by colleges in the U.S. The book PÃ¥ Svenska is used by the University of Minnesota for beginning Swedish. UC Berkeley and University of Washington use Rivstart. It might be easier to get the books from the respective university bookstore.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll be checking the links. Wish I had thought of checking a college bookstore while in the states. I have looked at Ikea. Sadly, all the books are in Japanese. I actually found a free bi-lingual story book for free on Amazon last night, so that was something.