Menu

Who has great ideas for the dessert table at a wedding?

and why don't any of the 'food amount calculators' include dessert?? ((if anyone can help with that, there will be a full meal, along with finger foods, in addition to dessert))

This is for my nephew's wedding, about 150 people. We will be both making stuff (cappucino cookies) and buying pre-made stuff (mini-cheesecakes).

Any great ideas?

Cupcakes are very "in" right now. You could make them ahead and freeze until you're ready to decorate. Here's a bakery site to give you some ideas. http://www.cupcakeroyale.com/thecupcakes.html Could you do one of those chocolate fondue fountains? I know you can rent them fairly inexpensively. Serve with squares of angel food cake and strawberries - maybe even pretzels?

and why don't any of the 'food amount calculators' include dessert?? ((if anyone can help with that, there will be a full meal, along with finger foods, in addition to dessert))

This is for my nephew's wedding, about 150 people. We will be both making stuff (cappucino cookies) and buying pre-made stuff (mini-cheesecakes).

Any great ideas?

It should be pretty easy to calculate roughly how much you'll need. One thing though, is this *instead* of wedding cake, or in *addition to* wedding cake? That will make a big difference.

Any great ideas?

homemade cookies.

We had a December wedding so it was homemade Christmas cookies and krumkake and sandbuckles. (scandinavian cookie thingys)

Mmmm, chocolate fountain! My friend actually has one, I'm sure we could borrow it.

Here's the info I should have included in my first post :D

*it's in addition to the wedding cake, people can eat from this table at any time

*both kids and adults

*anything that can be pre-made to some extent is excellent

thanks, guys! I'm off to check the cupcake site (gotta love the internet)

Mini cream-filled cream puffs. You can buy these (frozen) from Sam's Club or they are pretty easy to make. Lightly drizzle with chocolate sauce.

Cream wafer cookies are delicious, light cookies, and you can color the filling with food color to match "wedding" colors if you like. You can also make them way ahead of time and freeze for a couple weeks or more.

CREAM WAFER COOKIES

2 c. flour

1 c. butter

1/3 c. half and half

Dish of sugar

Mix, cover and refrigerate for approximately 2 hours to overnight. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll out 1/3 of dough at a time, 1/8" thick. Cut into small 1.5" rounds using a small baby food jar or other small container. Dip both sides in sugar and place on a cookie sheet. Prick with fork about 4 times. Bake until set but not brown (7 to 9 minutes). Cool.

FILLING:

3/4 c. powdered sugar

1/2 c. butter flavored Crisco

1 tsp. vanilla

Food coloring (opt.)

Beat until fluffy. Spread filling onto a cooled cookie round and top with another cookie round. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze in layers of waxed paper.

Mmmm, chocolate fountain! My friend actually has one, I'm sure we could borrow it.

Here's the info I should have included in my first post :D

*it's in addition to the wedding cake, people can eat from this table at any time

*both kids and adults

*anything that can be pre-made to some extent is excellent

thanks, guys! I'm off to check the cupcake site (gotta love the internet)

If it will be available to guests before the cake is cut, and if you do small serving sizes/minis, I'd go with appx. 3-4 pieces per guest. If the wedding cake is available to guests at the same time, I'd figure 2-3 dessert buffet pieces per guest. For the chocolate fountain, I'd figure more like 6-8 "tidbits" per guest.

The wedding cake itself should probably be really on the small side, since most people will fill up more on the dessert buffet and leave the cake as an afterthought.

The chocolate fountain would be great, and you could prepare almost all of the items for dipping ahead of time. I can't remember what was already posted for that, but obviously cake cubes and fruit (especially strawberries and chunks of pineapple) are nice. Also much enjoyed are cubes/balls of Rice Krispy Treats, which could either be homemade or store-bought, either way could be done way ahead of time. It's also nice to set out Oreos and marshmallows, and you can also set out a bowl of sprinkles or chopped nuts. If you did a really extensive chocolate fountain setup, you actually wouldn't need much else. Maybe just the Costco cream puffs, the mini cheesecakes, and a small variety of toppings for the cheesecakes.

Have fun! :)