Menu

I need a new camera

PIE!

It is time again to get a new camera. The old one broke. My phone is not cutting it. I know nothing beyond point-and-shoot photography. I would really like my photos to look at least somewhat nice. Not blurry or grainy or badly colored, even when involving some motion or low light. (Yes I do touch them up a little with my computer, but I'm not an expert, and there is only so much touching up I can do.)

So what do I look for in a camera? Any suggestions of a particular camera that someone with little experience can use that won't break the bank?

And what about my photography skills. Anywhere I can find basic, helpful information on taking good pictures?

Any reasonably up-to-date phone will do as well as a basic point-and-shoot. So unless you are interested in learning about lighting or working with different lenses or manual mode in a $400+ Camera, I'd spend the money on a phone upgrade.

I have three point and shoot cameras, a Canon, Kodak, and a Nikon Coolpix. I find my phone is easy to use, because it is always there, but the point and shoots have some cool settings for various types of pix. We resurrected the tiny Nikon Coolpix earlier this month, because Ds was going on a backcountry trip and he was not sure how his solar cellphone charger would work. So the camera with extra batteries and an extra sd card was perfect.

And I plan to take a camera along on my next all day hike, because loads of photos not only runs down phone battery, but also interferes with some gps hiking aops.

One big difference in point and shoot is batteries. The smallest model tend to use special rechargeable batteries, while slightly larger models use standard AA batteries. Just something to be aware of.

A lot depends how you want to use camera. I liked having a small one (before I had a smart phone) because I could carry it around for impromptu shots. But a slightly larger model is easier to use and takes better pix, imo.

Here are some recs from TopTen Reviews. I have always found their rankings to be extremely reliable. Also, I check Amazon to see what is on Prime. Maybe illogical, but I figure Amazon would be more likely to prime something decent than a total dud, kwim?

http://point-and-shoot-camera-review.toptenreviews.com

ETA. When I am trying to narrow down a purchase, I often Google the user manual for the product and download a copy.

• Like 2

My phone is fairly new, but also on the cheap side. I think it's a Motorola, but I don't know what kind. It doesn't seem to have a flash, so only outdoor pictures turn out well. Though that just could be that I don't know how to use it properly yet. My camera and phone knowledge is lacking. I have no good reason, but I'd rather not have a fancier phone. I didn't really want a smart phone at all, but for other reasons have one.

Anyway, thanks for the camera advice!

I have a Canon PowerShot ELPH (300 HS ~~~ whatever that means) and I puffy heart it. It's an older model at only 12.1megapixels. I paid $99 for it around four years ago. I just checked Amazon and found a 16megapixel one at $109 ---- the price varies/goes up for colors.

I am a  point-and-shoot person but my camera has tons of settings. I sat in on a  crashed a basic photography class and was able to do most of the stuff that others did with their fancier cameras. My camera takes awesome photos. Dh has a very pricey (and BIG) Nikon and he prefers my palm-sized PowerShot over his. In fact, while on vacation, he always has my camera in his pocket and I have to ask him for it. :glare:  :lol: 

I took my kids' senior photos with my wee Canon and received kudos from friends and family for how they turned out. It saved a LOT of money! I looked online for posing and props ideas and I am very proud of my almost-free photos (Wal-Green's printing is very inexpensive!).

I found how-to books (library or used book stores) and online tutorials (free) to be very helpful in learning how to take better photos; even better than the class I crashed --- it just moved too fast for me. Real photography requires just too much planning and strategy for me, though, so I'm still a point-and-shoot person. :coolgleamA:  I guess in my heart I mostly just want "pictures" and not "photographs".

• Like 3

I have a Canon PowerShot ELPH (300 HS ~~~ whatever that means) and I puffy heart it. It's an older model at only 12.1megapixels. I paid $99 for it around four years ago. I just checked Amazon and found a 16megapixel one at $109 ---- the price varies/goes up for colors.

I am a point-and-shoot person but my camera has tons of settings. I sat in on a crashed a basic photography class and was able to do most of the stuff that others did with their fancier cameras. My camera takes awesome photos. Dh has a very pricey (and BIG) Nikon and he prefers my palm-sized PowerShot over his. In fact, while on vacation, he always has my camera in his pocket and I have to ask him for it. :glare: :lol:

I took my kids' senior photos with my wee Canon and received kudos from friends and family for how they turned out. It saved a LOT of money! I looked online for posing and props ideas and I am very proud of my almost-free photos (Wal-Green's printing is very inexpensive!).

I found how-to books (library or used book stores) and online tutorials (free) to be very helpful in learning how to take better photos; even better than the class I crashed --- it just moved too fast for me. Real photography requires just too much planning and strategy for me, though, so I'm still a point-and-shoot person. :coolgleamA: I guess in my heart I mostly just want "pictures" and not "photographs".

Thank you! I'm going to go look at that camera now. Do you remember titles of any particularly helpful books?

• Like 1

I super puffy heart love Nikon lenses, but when I am just out and about or on vacation, I use my iPhone.  If I were to make another overseas trip and I wasn't sure about being able to charge my phone, I'd likely get the canon elph mentioned above BUT I wouldn't plan on it lasting forever. My previous tiny point and shoot cameras have never lasted more than a year before breaking (and the cost of repairs was never worth it).

• Like 1

Thank you! I'm going to go look at that camera now. Do you remember titles of any particularly helpful books?

Sure. I liked The Idiot's Guide to Photography Essentials. It is easy enough for us point-and-shoot folks to learn a few tricks but not get bogged down in the whole lens-changing, shutter speed stuff. :tongue_smilie: It's in there, but it's easy to skip over.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Photography-Essentials/dp/1592577520/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440706519&sr=8-1&keywords=idiot%27s+photography+essentials

Other than this book, I just found a few videos/tutorials online to help 'cement' what the book was suggesting. I will say that I have always been in tune with what was in the background of my photos, but now I'm more aware of 'staging' a bit and the rule of thirds, etc. Before, I was more about "hey there is a garbage can back there or some dude doing The Running Man, so take a step to the right". Now, I'm more likely to find a nice, full tree, or a neat landscape/brick wall formation. I still call myself a point-and-shoot gal, though. :thumbup1:

• Like 1