Menu

Malta or Madrid?

Laura Corin

We have two options for a short break for just the two of us in October (Hobbes will be away on an exchange and Calvin will be at university).  They cost about the same through the deals we can get.  We are not beach people:

Malta: gentle history/archaeology, sea, landscape, history, 9 hours of sunshine per day, higher temperature.  Food perhaps too influenced by British colonial awfulness???

Madrid: high culture, great food, 6 hours of sunshine per day, lower temperature

What do you think?

I would go to Malta, but I am always happiest by the sea. I have been to Madrid and it was quite wonderful, lots to see and do, great food choices...it would definitely not be a bad choice. Especially if you like an active nightlife. I remember going out dancing at many clubs.

• Like 1

That is much too difficult a choice.  Usually I'd pick a city over an island because we're not beach people, but Malta is a lot more than beaches. I've wanted to go there for a long time. But I've wanted to go to Madrid forever and how could I pass up that chance?  The weather is pleasant in either place at the time of year so that wouldn't make a difference to me.  I think you could find plenty of good places to eat in Malta for a short trip, but the food in Madrid would be amazing.

I think I'd resort to throwing darts at the map.

• Like 3

I vote for Malta. I have never been to either place but I have always wanted to go to Malta so I am prejudiced. ;) I suspect Malta could be a fascinating trip and a bit more unique. Eating inexpensive food in out of the way restaurants is a vision I have....I am probably really wrong! My Mexico of the 80's where dh and I had wonderful meals in some really out of the way spots.

I know several people who have gone to Madrid on business and have always asked them how it was. Everyone always has a perfectly nice trip but I never feel the need to experience it after talking to them. Remember I love to travel but Madrid doesn't call to me for some reason. I would happily go if the price was right but probably would normally pick a different choice unless something made Madrid better....nicer hotel etc. If there is something there you or your dh really want to see or do then Madrid is the right choice.

i'd go to malta - I find the history stuff really fascinating.  I'm not a beach person either - I'll spend a day on a beach, but then I need to do something else.  But I do like that there is a little city with great architecture, but also less inhabited walks and things.

I don't think the food there is especially British, I think its more Mediterranean.