Menu

OCD and anxiety?

Chris in VA

We've recently started working on getting a diagnosis for youngest DS (16).  Likely it will be social anxiety.  It's what his pediatrician believes, and he's started DS on Prozac.  He wants DS to see a psychiatrist because he doesn't like handling teen mental health issues, but the wait time here to see one is months.  The ped didn't want him going that long w/o something, so he went ahead and prescribed Prozac last month.  He's upping DS's dosage very slowly and seeing him each time between increasing it.

The things we've noticed in DS is that when he's at school he won't eat lunch.  Maybe a few bites, and that's all.  He also has trouble eating breakfast on school days.  In the past couple of years his BMI and height/weight percentiles have changed dramatically (in other words, when taking his increasing height into consideration he's lost a ton of weight).  He has some tics in various social situations that he doesn't have at home.  I won't go so far as to say that he has selective mutism, but in social situations he talks very, very little.  He answers questions when directly asked something, but he almost never makes any voluntary comments (although when alone with our family he's often quite talkative and opinionated).

We see the psychiatrist in November.  I would like to get DS into some cognitive behavioral therapy, as everything I've read says CBT and medication used together have the best outcome.  But I'm holding off on that until we see the psych.

The only OCD type behavior I've noted is that he picks at his cuticles.

• Like 1

Thank you. We are going to find a therapist. I just want some personal experiences to flesh out online information. I believe this insecurity and anxiety has changed brain chemistry which has led to ocd behavior. I think it stems from being in an addict family.

This sucks.

We've recently started working on getting a diagnosis for youngest DS (16).  Likely it will be social anxiety.  It's what his pediatrician believes, and he's started DS on Prozac.  He wants DS to see a psychiatrist because he doesn't like handling teen mental health issues, but the wait time here to see one is months.  The ped didn't want him going that long w/o something, so he went ahead and prescribed Prozac last month.  He's upping DS's dosage very slowly and seeing him each time between increasing it.

The things we've noticed in DS is that when he's at school he won't eat lunch.  Maybe a few bites, and that's all.  He also has trouble eating breakfast on school days.  In the past couple of years his BMI and height/weight percentiles have changed dramatically (in other words, when taking his increasing height into consideration he's lost a ton of weight).  He has some tics in various social situations that he doesn't have at home.  I won't go so far as to say that he has selective mutism, but in social situations he talks very, very little.  He answers questions when directly asked something, but he almost never makes any voluntary comments (although when alone with our family he's often quite talkative and opinionated).

We see the psychiatrist in November.  I would like to get DS into some cognitive behavioral therapy, as everything I've read says CBT and medication used together have the best outcome.  But I'm holding off on that until we see the psych.

The only OCD type behavior I've noted is that he picks at his cuticles.

I'd go ahead and start the CBT if you can now, as it will only help him cope, and can't hurt.  While I am sad that your son is suffering, I am glad the pediatrician is trying to help and paying close attention.  Have you let the psych. know that you will take any open appointment if someone cancels? That might get you in sooner. 

Good Luck!

• Like 2

I'd go ahead and start the CBT if you can now, as it will only help him cope, and can't hurt.  While I am sad that your son is suffering, I am glad the pediatrician is trying to help and paying close attention.  Have you let the psych. know that you will take any open appointment if someone cancels? That might get you in sooner. 

Good Luck!

Yes, we've asked to be put on the list for cancellations.  But she only sees new patients on Monday and Thursday afternoons. :confused1:  So since the new patient appointment opportunities are so limited, I don't hold out much hope he'll get in any sooner.