Menu

Fun typing program for older child with dyslexia

kareng

Hello folks. I don't know if this topic has been addressed elsewhere but I am looking for a fun typing program for an older dyslexic student.  I really haven't tried many typing programs -  I have looked at some software but much is for the young child.  My dd is 17 and has finally agreed to try typing (again - she tried Nessy Fingers years ago a couple of times and decided "it didn't work for her").  She can print, doesn't like cursive (took much time involved for her to form the letters) so I was hoping that typing would be the ticket.so that she could write more easily without all the labor.

I'm looking for something that isn't boring (like most programs I've seen) but has a little "fun" in it.

Any ideas?  What am I looking for? A little fun with a lot of repetition that isn't too juvenile.

How is Mavis? That's the only one I know of.

You don't have to buy and install a software. If you have good internet access, there are several free web sites where you can learn typing. I like typing.com because it starts off with two keys at a time, rather than the entire home row. And there is nothing juvenile about the interface.

There are also learntyping.org, typingclub.com, and keybr.com among others.

For a fun program that is not for too young kids, look at Type2Learn 4. It is a little expensive, but is available cheaper via homeschoolbuyerscoop.com.

My dd did Mavis Beacon for mac using the Dvorak keyboard layout lessons.  She did this as a teen, and it was not babyish.  Also, if money is motivating, you could pay her.  I paid my dd $1 per wpm for any month where she increased by at least 5.  I also gave her an email account, a user account on the computer set permanently to dvorak, etc.  I went with dvorak because it requires less motions.  It's just a simple toggle in the language preferences on the computer and she can do it with her ipad keyboard, etc., making it a long-term option.

Typing Pal, Type to Learn 4, or Touch Type Read Spell are all good programs but the "fun" one is Type to Learn 4. It IS a bit young, though. You play a secret agent saving information.

Here's the bottom line I have found with learning to type. Typing is boring and it takes time and dedication to learn. The only way to improve is to just do it anyway. Just like learning to play a musical instrument, without consistent practice and a commitment to acquiri ng the skills necessary to get proficient this endeavor will probably fail. Can you approach it with her as something she will commit to even knowing it will be boring and take time? Can you give her positive feedback and encouragement to keep her going? Or will that just turn her off?

I will say that what might help with enthusiasm as well as improving proficiency in typing at a faster rate is to adjust the w.p.m. requirements (for programs that have them) to maybe 5 w.p.m. when a student starts out and 95% or even 93% accuracy. Have them focus on correct finger placement and accuracy far above speed until finger placement, stroke and posture are solid. Increase w.p.m. and accuracy settings once the basic skills are more solid. Otherwise they may never get proficient or may develop bad habits trying for speed that have to be unlearned to get more accurate. Speed will come much more quickly once accuracy is down.

• Like 2

Typing Instructor Platinum    (or Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum)

...is nearly all game based and therefore can be extremely fun.  At least if a child enjoys typing words quickly to blow up attacking monsters or typing quickly to negotiate a pharoah's tomb, or that sort of thing. My son loves it.

However!  Possible major warning!

We are in process of making changes to our computer situation and if you have Windows above 7 or Mac above Snow Leopard it is possible that Typing Instructor will not work.  We tried to load it into our Windows 8.1 and so far could not, and it is a reason that I am reluctant to give up our Snow Leopard, and looking at possibilities to perhaps let the Mac have a divided hard drive part to keep Snow Leopard so as to be able to keep Typing Instructor as well as a few other programs.

UPDATE:

learned today that in the download form, they will work on newer operating systems.

Typing Pal, Type to Learn 4, or Touch Type Read Spell are all good programs but the "fun" one is Type to Learn 4. It IS a bit young, though. You play a secret agent saving information.

Here's the bottom line I have found with learning to type. Typing is boring and it takes time and dedication to learn. The only way to improve is to just do it anyway. Just like learning to play a musical instrument, without consistent practice and a commitment to acquiri ng the skills necessary to get proficient this endeavor will probably fail. Can you approach it with her as something she will commit to even knowing it will be boring and take time? Can you give her positive feedback and encouragement to keep her going? Or will that just turn her off?

I will say that what might help with enthusiasm as well as improving proficiency in typing at a faster rate is to adjust the w.p.m. requirements (for programs that have them) to maybe 5 w.p.m. when a student starts out and 95% or even 93% accuracy. Have them focus on correct finger placement and accuracy far above speed until finger placement, stroke and posture are solid. Increase w.p.m. and accuracy settings once the basic skills are more solid. Otherwise they may never get proficient or may develop bad habits trying for speed that have to be unlearned to get more accurate. Speed will come much more quickly once accuracy is down.

Agree with bolded!!!!!!!  But not the italicized.

With Typing Instructor it is not boring (at least not for ds) due to the games nature of the program.  And at least for my ds it is working to get good typing ability. Though I should also say that I am not insisting on "touch typing" since I expect that he will need typing for his life, but will not be a typist as his career.  He is up to 80 wpm on home row, slower on other rows, looking as he wishes.  Mostly to go 80wpm he does not look, but he has never been stopped from looking.  Also, for OP, I should note that he started with talkingfingers.com and graduated to Typing Instructor for Kids, (and will get Platinum 21 shortly), but I think talkingfingers would feel way too babyish for an older child.

Agree with bolded!!!!!!!  But not the italicized.

With Typing Instructor it is not boring (at least not for ds) due to the games nature of the program.  And at least for my ds it is working to get good typing ability. Though I should also say that I am not insisting on "touch typing" since I expect that he will need typing for his life, but will not be a typist as his career.  He is up to 80 wpm on home row, slower on other rows, looking as he wishes.  Mostly to go 80wpm he does not look, but he has never been stopped from looking.  Also, for OP, I should note that he started with talkingfingers.com and graduated to Typing Instructor for Kids, (and will get Platinum 21 shortly), but I think talkingfingers would feel way too babyish for an older child.

With my kids, even though they loved the games on Type to Learn 4, eventually it became quite boring anyway.  They were tired of typing lessons.  Of course they were both really, really slow to pick up typing skills so I guess it got old after 2 years of typing lessons.