Menu

My baby is 6. Who Am I?

Carla

I've been pregnant, breastfeeding and taking care of pre-schoolers from the time I was 19 until now, I'm turning 40 in a couple of months.  My baby is 6.  I think it's going to take some time to figure out what to do with myself!  Thankfully I'm homeschooling, but sheesh!  I thought I'd feel miraculously light, but instead I feel...a bit...lost.  Anyone know what I mean?  :crying:

• Like 7

What a little big kid! That's growing up, all right. But just because you aren't needed for diapers and night terrors doesn't mean they don't still need you. I think when things change it can take awhile to figure out how we fit with our families as the role changes. But that's a good and needful thing, it just sometimes doesn't happen as quickly or smoothly as we would like.

Hugs!

Yes, it is true!  They do need me - lots more listening to them, hearing them and facilitating their interests instead of simply changing them, feeding them, managing them and playing.  Mentally exhausting, to be sure, and not quite as physically exhausting.  

There are simply now large swaths of time where they are taking care of themselves and I don't have to employ that switch that keeps me "on" at all times to whatever they are doing.  It is really different!  I am glad to be growing out of it - just learning to adjust to it!!

Oh my gosh, I can relate. My first baby(21) returned to college today ,17 hours away. Sigh... She's beginning her Senior year :huh: I miss the heady days of having three little ones under the age of three, little bows and sundresses and sticky hands. BUT I am enjoying living in a house of teenaged girls and my eleven year old who thinks that she is 30. It's so much fun (except for that ONE week a month....). Time passes so quickly and as the years race, I find myself exceedingly grateful that I've been home with my girls, living and learning and laughing. Just wishing that it would slow down a wee bit.

• Like 1

I hear ya! 

Have y'all seen this commercial? It really hit me the first time I saw it, just how fast time goes. But it also made me think -- there's lots of time left, finally time to pursue some long set aside interests and remember who I am apart from the huge role of being a mother. 

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-aaron-paul-guns-it-mazdas-time-traveling-new-spot-165027

Carla, your quilts are beautiful. I especially like the jellyroll pattern. You are an artist.

• Like 1