Menu

SOTW & MOH---????

wehave8

I had to bow out of VP-SP History and I don't want to do it on my own, although we ARE learning the timeline.  Very limited internet.

I am looking for 6th, 5th, and 2nd grade boys.

Would you do SOTW WITH MOH, or ?????  The 6th grader has basically done Ancient Egypt and some American History by interest lead only.

WWYD?

Pam

I would do SOTW 1 (or 2) with all of them. And use the Activity Guide as well. You don't have to do everything suggested. It will give you extra book lists, maps etc. Your 5th and 6th graders can also use a History Encyclopedia and they can all make time lines. Look at The Well Trained Mind. Learning to condense a chapter into 6 sentences is good for all ages. 

I would do SOTW 1 (or 2) with all of them. And use the Activity Guide as well. You don't have to do everything suggested. It will give you extra book lists, maps etc. Your 5th and 6th graders can also use a History Encyclopedia and they can all make time lines. Look at The Well Trained Mind. Learning to condense a chapter into 6 sentences is good for all ages. 

Good ideas!

I was thinking of SOTW--fast paced, and then MOH, but I did't know if we'd have enough years for that plan.

Pam

I would do MOH myself. I usually recommend SOTW for fouth grade and under and MOH for 5th grade and up. Since 2 of yours are older, I would teach at their level. The younger ones usually glean a lot from listening to their older siblings school books and 2nd grade doesn't require too much formal history.

I would do MOH myself. I usually recommend SOTW for fouth grade and under and MOH for 5th grade and up. Since 2 of yours are older, I would teach at their level. The younger ones usually glean a lot from listening to their older siblings school books and 2nd grade doesn't require too much formal history.

1 vote for SOTW, 1 for MOH.  :)

A tie breaker?  Or a different plan?

Pam

I would look at samples of both online and see which style appeals to you most. Some like SOTW better, some like MOH better--both have good things to offer, so it's a matter of what you prefer and what you want. I really like MOH, and I combine it with Sonlight (which actually schedules SOTW, LOL!). Here are some of my blog posts where I talk about combining MOH and Sonlight.

• Like 1

My DD really loves history, and I did MOH 1 through part of 3 with her at a young age (1st - 2nd grade). Then we did a couple years of American history. Last year I did MOH 1 through the first quarter of 2 with the two older kids (sometimes the K'er listened in but I didn't require it). I like how MOH 1 in particular goes through many of the books of the Bible and makes the connections between the Bible and what else was going on in history.

Since I am trying to pull in DS6 more this coming year and both DS8 and DS6 like history but don't love detailed general history like DD does, they will do SOTW with me while DD reads the rest of MOH2 and part of 3 on her own. The lessons in MOH 2 and 3 get to be longer and more detailed. One thing I really like about SOTW is that it lines up better with how I want to do history cycles. I have to break up the MOH books in odd ways to get it to match with my idea of what the 4 year cycle should look like. :-)

So I don't really have a 'vote' for you but maybe my reasoning will help you think through what makes sense for you.

• Like 1

Well, I want to do it all!  I want to do SOTW, MOH, and VP!  I think I might look into some schedules I've see for MOH and SOTW and still memorize VP Timeline (along with reading the backs of the cards.

Am I looking for trouble?

Pam

You could combine all of your children in My Father's World, which doesn't use MOH at all because they primarily use the Bible (rather than one person's narration of the Bible) for the biblical stories/integration, and then a variety of other resources for the "secular" side of history which lines up with the Bible.  They do use SOTW 2, 3 and 4, though, in Rome to Reformation, Expl-1850, and 1850-Modern.  You've got three years left before the oldest hits high school, so this could be a very good option for you (and him).

You could combine all of your children in My Father's World, which doesn't use MOH at all because they primarily use the Bible (rather than one person's narration of the Bible) for the biblical stories/integration, and then a variety of other resources for the "secular" side of history which lines up with the Bible.  They do use SOTW 2, 3 and 4, though, in Rome to Reformation, Expl-1850, and 1850-Modern.  You've got three years left before the oldest hits high school, so this could be a very good option for you (and him).

I'll look at my catalog.

You could combine all of your children in My Father's World, which doesn't use MOH at all because they primarily use the Bible (rather than one person's narration of the Bible) for the biblical stories/integration, and then a variety of other resources for the "secular" side of history which lines up with the Bible. They do use SOTW 2, 3 and 4, though, in Rome to Reformation, Expl-1850, and 1850-Modern. You've got three years left before the oldest hits high school, so this could be a very good option for you (and him).

I was wondering why they didn't use MOH.

I would look at samples of both online and see which style appeals to you most. Some like SOTW better, some like MOH better--both have good things to offer, so it's a matter of what you prefer and what you want. I really like MOH, and I combine it with Sonlight (which actually schedules SOTW, LOL!). Here are some of my blog posts where I talk about combining MOH and Sonlight.

Thanks for sending to your blog.  I looked at it before, but I liked reading it again.  I think SOTW might be a good fit for us for now.  It looks like we will still have time to do MOH in high school if we choose.  I didn't know which to choose for now, and I was getting overwhelmed thinking of combining them all at once so we wouldn't have to miss one of them.  I wish I wouldn't have fumbled around so much the past three years.

So we still have time to do SOTW, MOH, and VP mixed in!

Would you NOT recommend all 3 at the some time?  I see some charts that do combine them.

Pam

Would you NOT recommend all 3 at the some time?  I see some charts that do combine them.

I know some people do it, so I guess it depends on your family's time and interests. We made the MOH/Sonlight combo work for us because I subbed MOH for Sonlight's spine. So it was still like doing one program, more or less. Some like doing multiple histories though. Some do the audios for one or two (I have a friend whose boys know a ton of history, and she never did anything but use audios before high school!) 

Another thing I've done when combining resources is to decide how much time I'm willing to devote per day to a subject. If you find yourself going over that time by a lot, then slow down the pace (let it take more than a year etc...) or decide at that point to drop something. Sometimes you just don't know until you try it.