Menu

I've posted some pictures on my blog of my sister's tornado damage.

Thanks so much for all your prayers the other night.

They are holding up OK, although they are both fatigued right now.

Their insurance company had checks in their hands the morning after the tornado hit; I couldn't believe they had such quick service. They had called their agent the night before and the adjustor was there the next morning with his checkbook. (Farm Bureau, BTW.)

They'll continue staying with my parents for a little longer and then go about the business of rebuilding. They physically built most of their home themselves (my BIL does home building as his business), and that's what they plan to do again. Although they plan to pick a different spot on their farm.

I would appreciate your continued thoughts and prayers as they go through these next few days. They both have jobs they'll be returning to next week and that will be hard to do with all they'll face when they get off each night.

Wow. I just drove by a Farm Bureau Insurance the other day and liked the word farm and wondered if they were good.

How wonderful to be able to get started right away.

I wonder if anyone else has been looking into building partially submerged homes. I saw a beautiful floor plan and the whole house looks protected with ground cover. Then one entire wall is exposed and it's glass obviously super strong - usually toward the southern sky. You get light in most of the house - the main living areas.

I told dear boyfriend that if we get to FINALLY build our home piece by loving peace and it's all ours - our heart and soul - I can not bear to loose it all suddenly to the wind. Here in Florida we get plenty of warning for our big storms. We have time to pack pictures and our childrens lost teeth. All the art work we have saved......

A tornado comes through with seconds to no warning at all.

I wish for their next home more family around the dinner table, long breezy quiet summer nights alone on the porch, and a well that always runs with sweet cold water. And while I'm at it - a good tree swing for the kids if they don't already have one!

EDITING - Oh my god. I am speechless. My heart breaks for them. (Obviously - I just saw the pictures).

How utterly unbelievable. I would cry and cry for days.

I know I would be thankful for all the life spared - especially to come home and find the dogs ALL there.

And thank god for neighbors and their basements and their petsitting.

But I would just cry and cry for a few days. While I clean and rebuild of course.

I want to send her the best organic coffee and a battery operated coffee maker. Do they even make them?

Thank you for sharing the pictures and labeling them so well. It truly strikes a cord in me and I am more determined then ever to build a tornado "safer" house when we move to Tennessee or wherever the future holds for us.

I am so so sorry for their incredible loss.

Thank you all so much. Your thoughts, prayers, and kind words mean so much to me. I've also shared them with my sister, and they moved her to tears.

They're pretty much wiped out in every way today: physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Their faith, your (and others') prayers, and many, many acts of kindness are sustaining them.

Jackie,

We've been through 2 firestorms out here in San Diego, and I know several families who lost houses as it tore through my neighborhood 4 years ago and last fall through the neighborhood around my church. It is such a long, gut wrenching period after a disaster, with so many emotional ups and downs in first letting the enormity of it all sink in, the losses sink in, then facing the headaches in rebuilding. I hope the zoning laws out there on that beautiful land aren't so complex that they have to get dozens of permits before they can even start rebuilding. I'm sure it is worse here in our densely populated city, in California with all our environmental impact laws! My dentist, who lost his house last October, said his best hope is that their house will be rebuilt within 18 months!!

The photographs are amazing, thank you for sharing them, and it is heart warming to see what a wonderful family you have! I know your sister and her husband will be getting all kinds of loving support from y'all as long as they need it.