Menu

SOTW-Narrations? Writing?

I am getting ready to begin going through SOTW with my 1st grader (Vol. 1) and 3rd grader (Vol. 3). Just wondering what other people do after reading each chapter or section. Oral narration only? Discussion questions? Writing narrations down for the child? My third grader could probably write her narrations down afterward, but my 1st grader couldn't. I don't want to burn them out on a routine of: read, narrate/write/map/repeat. Any thoughts?

We used toys . . . Little People, action figures, stuffed animals and used them to act out the stories. My oldest really enjoyed choosing the cast. That wasn't really the point, but it got us there painlessly. I always thought I should just keep a box of clothes pins with faces on them near my SOTW stuff to streamline the casting part, but I never actually did it.

• Like 1

I have my kids answer the questions orally. About half the time I ask them to tell me something about the chapter. My oldest will be in 2nd grade this year so I may have him start writing them but it depends on how much other writing he is doing.

I did it orally only in 3rd grade - I read the section and then we discussed it, no writing.

They are doing something else for writing, right? If so, writing in history too is probably overkill.  Alternatively, if you want to do your writing in history only, you could have the 3rd grader write narrations, or give you oral narrations that you scribe and dictate back.  Your first grader could answer the questions orally and you could write their sentences down and have them use it for copywork.  

The Activity Guides have questions/answers and sample narration/summaries.  Or you can buy & download the written questions only from the PHP site.  But I think that's a lot of writing for a 3rd grader.

• Like 3

No, my 3rd grader is just beginning homeschool, so she hasn't done SOTW, but I really want them in their own cycles of history for other reasons. I don't mind two sets of narrations, etc. I agree that it would be too much writing to do written narrations for everything…we are doing BW for language arts, so they will get writing and copy work through that.

• Like 1

I do the discussion questions orally, with my kids taking turns answering.  Then, I ask each of my 1st graders to tell me one thing they remember about the section. And I ask my 4th grader to sum up the important parts of the chapter in a few sentences (orally).  We are using other programs for writing, so we don't do much writing in history.  If I were more comfortable teaching writing, we could do written narrations in history and just do spelling and grammar for language arts.