Menu

Audiobook recommendations ages 3-12

lovinglife

Hey there! We are road tripping soon with a crew of six kids ranging in age from nearly 3 to nearly twelve. In the last we've enjoyed audio books like The Guardians, 101 Dalmatians, Tales from the Odyssey etc. Any stellar recommendations for a read that would entertain a wide age range. So e expensive are good, and some cheap would be even better (: Thanks!

Almost anything by Jim Weiss. He has age appropriate material on his website/ catalog so you can select for the little one and the older one.

My ds is past 20 and still remembers "The Purloined Letter" read by Jim Weiss.  :)

• Like 2

Sigh, my kids are no longer little, but I do remember listening to many, many great stories on tape. Some of my (well, yes, our) favorites included:

The BFG (I can still hear the queen now drinking her bubbly!) by Roald Dahl

Cricket in Times Square (I still think of this book when I hear crickets singing, I loved it!) and my kids are now in high school and beyond!

Pictures of Hollis Woods  (for the 10-12 yr. old, not sure about the youngers, but this was a great story)

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Beverly Cleary series, especially Ribsy, read by Neil Patrick Harris

The Family Under the Bridge

Ginger Pye

Because of Winn Dixie (for the olders?) Heard this on tape first, then saw the movie, great story!

And a second on anything by Jim Weiss!

Check your local library for these. Happy trails!

• Like 1

Trumpet of the Swan read by the author

Paddington

Those would be my top two choices. Others that we have enjoyed a lot include

Anything by Roald Dahl - The BFG, Witches, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Geroge's Marvelous Medicine are favorites

Odd and the Frost Giants

Tuesdays at the Castle

Wizard of Oz

Homer Price

The Light Princess

• Like 1

I am watching this thread with interest, as when we travel we have six children -- ages 4-14.  However, I have a couple of "scaredies" who would not do well with many of the choices mentioned so far.  Jay-Jay the Jet Plane is about it as far as tolerating "drama"; however, my olders do not tolerate Jay-Jay well.

We have found a few Adventures in Odyssey episodes that work, but we're pretty tired of the ones we have.

Are there any audios that are not scary, do not have bad words or inappropriate material, that are still interesting?  I have about given up hope...

Hank the Cowdog books were always fun for our girls at those ages.  While not classic literature by any means, they were amusing and lighthearted. The main character, Hank, reminds me of Barney Fife - he is always threatened and needing to save the ranch.  I believe the author reads them and he even adds silly songs occasionally.  Even grandparents enjoyed them on long car trips.  Of course ymmv but most are not scary, of the ones we had my girls said to maybe avoid the Halloween one and the one with the bull in the title because that has one of the main characters getting injured and the dog needing to get help - of course everything works out in the end.  :-)

Hope this helps,

Cindy

Edited to add that we used to purchase these through Rainbow Resource but our library had a few as well.

• Like 2

Hank the Cowdog books were always fun for our girls at those ages.  While not classic literature by any means, they were amusing and lighthearted. The main character, Hank, reminds me of Barney Fife - he is always threatened and needing to save the ranch.  I believe the author reads them and he even adds silly songs occasionally.  Even grandparents enjoyed them on long car trips.  Of course ymmv but most are not scary, of the ones we had my girls said to maybe avoid the Halloween one and the one with the bull in the title because that has one of the main characters getting injured and the dog needing to get help - of course everything works out in the end.  :-)

Hope this helps,

Cindy

Edited to add that we used to purchase these through Rainbow Resource but our library had a few as well.

Hank also warns the kids that a scary part is coming up--which usually turns out to be not so scary after all--because he cares about the kids. :D

One that my boys loved when they were young--but which is, unfortunately, OOP--is The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks. Maybe your library has it. It's just goofy fun.

Other favorites include:

The BFG

Socks and other Beverly Cleary stories

Homer Price

dramatized version of Winnie the Pooh