Menu

MCT vocab- Classic or revised edition? Also, CE2 if we didn't do CE1?

Is the main difference between the Classic and revised editions all of the extra Roman stories and such? I'm really only interested in the vocab, so would the revised edition be the right choice for me?

Also, would we be ok jumping into CE2? We'll also be doing other voyage level books.

TIA,

Shannon

• Like 1

You don't absolutely need the revised edition, but I liked it, because it had additional words - a whole extra set of STEM-type words using the latin stems that are focused on every other lesson. That was worth it for me. It also has additional exercises - grammar using the vocab words, additional readings.  But it can work fine with either.

Kai is right, there is review of CE1 words in CE2, but I would be hesitant to skip CE1 because of the way the words are presented.  They aren't presented in order of difficulty, but of frequency - he presents them in the order of frequency of use in classical literature. So you get the more frequently used words first in CE1, and the words get less frequent and slightly more obscure as you go on.  If your kids are avid classic readers with great vocabs already, maybe it doesn't matter so much, but I wouldn't have wanted to skip focusing on the CE1 words.

• Like 3

You can totally do CE1 along side another level of MCT. I used it with my DS along side "island" because he requested to start it. MCT does weave the vocab words throughout the other books but that just means you might need to explain a word here or there when using the practice book. My DS is using 4practice 1 but not WWtW so I wind up needing to explain some of the words in the sentences.

• Like 1

You don't absolutely need the revised edition, but I liked it, because it had additional words - a whole extra set of STEM-type words using the latin stems that are focused on every other lesson. That was worth it for me. It also has additional exercises - grammar using the vocab words, additional readings.  But it can work fine with either.

Kai is right, there is review of CE1 words in CE2, but I would be hesitant to skip CE1 because of the way the words are presented.  They aren't presented in order of difficulty, but of frequency - he presents them in the order of frequency of use in classical literature. So you get the more frequently used words first in CE1, and the words get less frequent and slightly more obscure as you go on.  If your kids are avid classic readers with great vocabs already, maybe it doesn't matter so much, but I wouldn't have wanted to skip focusing on the CE1 words.

I was planning to use my old CE1 edition.  I only see one edition available now - and it is a revised Classical edition.  

Hmmm.  I like the idea of extra reinforcement activities and words.  Maybe I should get the ibook version?

• 2 weeks later...